Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Any tips?

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:59 PM
  • 4 Replies

This is our 1st year homeschooling. I will have a 7th grader and a kindergartner, also a 3 yr old and a 10 mth old. I'm afraid I won't be able to focus on older two and get school work done. Any good tips or ideas?Thanks

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Find coloring books and small quite toys for your 3 year old. At 10 months my youngest played in a play pen, played sitting in her high chair. Our playroom was right there by where we schooled and I would let her in there to play also, by taking out things that were to small. I also tried to school while she was asleep.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Naptime is your friend.

Some of the following is very messy.  At first I thought that it was horrible to give them messy stuff, but sometimes it is worth it to get a good half hour uninterrupted!

Get yourself some small boxes with really fun stuff in them for the LOs to play/learn with while you work with the older ones.  We have lots of
color sorting boxes,
beans and measuring cups/spoons,
tactile boxes (a soft box or bag that you put your hand in and feel around to feel what's in there),
fill a plastic baggy with finger paint (they can have the fun of playing with finger paint without the mess),
we put whipped cream or puddding on a cookie sheet to play with it (yes it makes a mess, but I won't worry about them eating it), 
bean bags and targets, 
If you know anyone who makes wooden clocks they always have imperfect gears lying around that are so much fun for little ones!!
An aquadoodle, magnadoodle, etc.
string and really big beads they can't swallow,
pipe cleaners (regular or the giant ones!),
their own white boards and dry erase markers,
crayons and markers with paper,
you can make playdough that it edible (peanut butter, nutella, flour, or salt doughs)
you can find cheap foam puzzles in many dollar stores or dollar spots at target,
a small plastic box with water and tub toys (you can have the older one sort by sinks and floats)
board books,
Pretty papers to rip apart, or a hole punch!! 

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:14 PM
1 mom liked this

The oldest should be able to do a lot of the work on their own once you have given the instructions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)