Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi all. I hope you dont mind if I use you as a sounding board.

This past weekend, we went to a friends house. It was her birthday and every year she has a theme party. No children, all adults. It is an equal mix of parents vs non parents. School aged parents vs baby parents. 

My friend and I were talking about my decision to homeschool this fall. Since it was a party there isnt much privacy, but we weren't speaking loudly or to the group as a whole.  It seems like that night EVERYONE had an opinion. I don't mind if anyone disagrees with me. They dont know our circumstances or why we reached the decision we did, but they sure didnt mind offering up an opinion. Not one person bother to ask, WHY we choose to. 

Maybe I was just being sensitive, but a lot of these people arent even friends, they are mearly aquaintances that are friends with the friend that invited me. 

Do you find that people seem to always have an opinion on your parenting choices whether it is homeschooling or something else? 

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Replies (11-19):
Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM

To be a homeschooler, you gotta have a thicker skin than that! If every discussion is going to cause you to rethink your choices, or feel bad, or worry that someone doesn't agree with you, then either you need to re-consider, or you need better friends.  Yeah, people are going ot offer their opinions. So what? That doesn't hurt anybody. Have a debate, I don't care. It  comes down to this. Are you able to withstand the criticism? Ok then. Proceed knowing that no one is going to pat you on the back for this.  I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but I don't have patience for negativity about my choices so this is my strategy for dealing.

FootballFan12
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM

It was a conversation between myself and one other friend, but you are right, probably not the best place to discuss..lol

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Well, I know it may not be popular, but if you're going to discuss something like this at a party, I kind of feel that you're inviting opinions, lol.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:37 PM
Ha! People don't usually have the guts to say anything to my hubby either. lol

Quoting usmom3:

Some times but most people don't have the guts to say anything against it to my face .

FootballFan12
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I am not second guessing my decisions, I was just venting. But I understand what you are saying to me and harsh or not, I appreciate the advice. 

Quoting Leissaintexas:

To be a homeschooler, you gotta have a thicker skin than that! If every discussion is going to cause you to rethink your choices, or feel bad, or worry that someone doesn't agree with you, then either you need to re-consider, or you need better friends.  Yeah, people are going ot offer their opinions. So what? That doesn't hurt anybody. Have a debate, I don't care. It  comes down to this. Are you able to withstand the criticism? Ok then. Proceed knowing that no one is going to pat you on the back for this.  I'm sorry to sound so harsh, but I don't have patience for negativity about my choices so this is my strategy for dealing.

StepDucky
by Sarah on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Ugh.. I've run into so many people who think we shouldn't homeschool. Everyone has their own way of raising their childern.... I don't sit there and tell them when I don't like something they are doing, any if I think I know a better way. Sooo annoying! 

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:08 PM

At this point, I know... bring up the topic of homeschooling and bring on the dip... because I don't discuss it, simple as that. At this stage, I wonder why I even discuss it with most other homeschoolers - they can't even agree. 

lucsch
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Well, if you don't want differing opinions, make sure you only hang out with people just like you. LOL

collinsmommy0
by Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Yup. DS is only 2 & I had a mommy friend lecture me on why I should have him in classes now.....her 2 year old is in over 7 classes per week - including preschool, Spanish classes, music, Gymboree, and swimming....

She insists that circle time at Gymboree is 'social time'. Sure, lady, whatever!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)