Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DD is 5 (June bday), and very excited to be considered a kindergartener this year. She keeps asking me when the first day of school is. She really wants me to give her a first day to count down to.

The thing is, she's been working at a first grade level for a while now and we've been schooling through the summer. So not a lot is going to change once she's "officially" K. We're almost finished with HWT so we can start the next book on our first day. Same with building thinking skills. Math and science we're right in the middle of so no changes there. I'll be ordering some new games and hands on stuff so I can bring those out day 1 to make it more interesting. I've also promised her a trip to the store for a backpack and new school supplies. So enough I can make it something new and hopefully meet her expectations of k.

The problem is I can't give her a date. I have a big surgery looming and I don't know when it will be. I don't want to give her a date then be unavailable for it, or get two days in and then have to stop.

So when would you start? Wait til I have a date then start a couple weeks after regardless? Start with other kids here and just deal when surgery comes? Quickly get our new year planned and let her start in just a couple weeks? I know it doesn't really matter, but it does to her. And this surgery is stressing her out a bit and my limitations are getting to us all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:44 AM
Replies (11-20):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bellaamore:

Sorry if ot, but what is hwt?

Handwriting Without Tears.  It is a writing curriculum

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:20 PM

How old is the baby?  Maybe schedule some cuddle time during your normal feeding times to make her feel more attached?  Weaning is so hard.  Good luck!

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Oh that could work too, counting down to the shopping.

Weaning is not going so well. She understands what we're saying and is more attached than before we started trying. But I need this done soon so we can't take too long.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm so sorry you have to wean the baby!  I'd just wait.  Give yourself time to wean, time for the surgery, and time to heal and recover.  You can always give her a countdown later.  Maybe count down to your back-to-school shopping spree for now and play the rest by ear. 

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

We're aiming for about 2 months out. But it could be sooner or later. The biggest holdup is I have to wean the baby :::sob::: as soon as we accomplish that or see the end in sight we can call to schedule. From there I don't know what the wait time will be. Maybe he'll get me in right away, maybe it will be a month wait. No idea. But the problem is getting worse every day and if it takes a nose dive, I might be in next week and we'll have to make things work with the baby.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I might wait until I have a surgery date and then give her a 2 week countdown.  Do you have a ballpark for when your surgery will be?  Maybe make the countdown until Labor Day?  That's when schools around here used to start when I was a kid.  Now they start mid August, but last year we did a traditional start.  We didn't like it and decided to go all year now, but it was cool to discuss the reasons school started later in the past. 

swim-mom72
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 1:55 PM

This is pretty close to what I would do in your shoes. I would start sooner, rather than later, because you have control over the "now" and no control over the surgery date : )  Then, there will be an established routine before your surgery, which will make things a bit more predictable and comfortable for your daughter.

Quoting KLove_Mom:

Since you've been working with her through the summer anyway, I'd do the opposite of what most of these moms are suggesting...

I would say "Wow, your first day of school is next Monday." And use this week to do something fun to "end the summer break" and something to prepare for school like organizing the supplies.

Then when you have the surgery you can take a 2-3 week fall break. 

Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:19 PM
This is a good idea, too. See why I can't decide?

There are pros and cons to starting soon and pros and cons to waiting.

I think the pain and frustration is leaving me more confused and I'm having a hard time making decisions. I feel so out of control with the whole thing.

Quoting KLove_Mom:

Since you've been working with her through the summer anyway, I'd do the opposite of what most of these moms are suggesting...

I would say "Wow, your first day of school is next Monday." And use this week to do something fun to "end the summer break" and something to prepare for school like organizing the supplies.

Then when you have the surgery you can take a 2-3 week fall break. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:37 PM
She just turned 1 but I prefer child led weaning or at least to 2 and nursed my first to 2y10m. So weaning at all seems so strange to me, let alone so young. I know she'll be okay, but I'm having a really hard time with it. It's different being forced into doing it versus deciding for myself it's time.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

How old is the baby?  Maybe schedule some cuddle time during your normal feeding times to make her feel more attached?  Weaning is so hard.  Good luck!

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Weaning is not going so well. She understands what we're saying and is more attached than before we started trying. But I need this done soon so we can't take too long.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I'm so sorry you have to wean the baby!  I'd just wait.  Give yourself time to wean, time for the surgery, and time to heal and recover.  You can always give her a countdown later.  Maybe count down to your back-to-school shopping spree for now and play the rest by ear. 

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

We're aiming for about 2 months out. But it could be sooner or later. The biggest holdup is I have to wean the baby :::sob::: as soon as we accomplish that or see the end in sight we can call to schedule. From there I don't know what the wait time will be. Maybe he'll get me in right away, maybe it will be a month wait. No idea. But the problem is getting worse every day and if it takes a nose dive, I might be in next week and we'll have to make things work with the baby.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I might wait until I have a surgery date and then give her a 2 week countdown.  Do you have a ballpark for when your surgery will be?  Maybe make the countdown until Labor Day?  That's when schools around here used to start when I was a kid.  Now they start mid August, but last year we did a traditional start.  We didn't like it and decided to go all year now, but it was cool to discuss the reasons school started later in the past. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Okay looking back over my responses I seem to be leaning toward sooner rather than later in my immediate reaction to suggestions. So I guess that tells me my answer.

And yet...lol...I was planning on more consistency once we start K but we're still in summer mode. But she won't know the difference I guess. I can call it k for her and then just slowly ramp us up to where I want to be later when we're ready. It doesn't really matter what we're calling it, this part is just for her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I understand.  I was just wondering if the attatchment might be less if the 2 of you spent more time together just cuddling.  I am totally supportive of EBF.  I'm so sorry you are going through all this.

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

She just turned 1 but I prefer child led weaning or at least to 2 and nursed my first to 2y10m. So weaning at all seems so strange to me, let alone so young. I know she'll be okay, but I'm having a really hard time with it. It's different being forced into doing it versus deciding for myself it's time.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting Mommy2Phenley:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:12 PM

That is such a precious story.  I enjoyed reading it.  Good luck on your surgery. 

CatFishMom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 3:18 PM

I start September first. Just set the date far enough away that your surgery should be done (if you can predict it at least that far) and warn her that things might be on pause once the surgery arrives. I would just pick a date and go with it.

Mommy2Phenley
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 5:07 PM
If I can stand it, we may hold off til January, so it would be hard to pick a for sure after date. I really don't think I'll make it that far, but it's a possibility.

Picking a for sure before date would be easier than picking a for sure after at this time.

Quoting CatFishMom:

I start September first. Just set the date far enough away that your surgery should be done (if you can predict it at least that far) and warn her that things might be on pause once the surgery arrives. I would just pick a date and go with it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)