Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

7 Reasons I'd Never Homeschool My Teen

Stir article I am posting for discussion.

7 Reasons I'd Never Homeschool My Teen

by Ericka Sóuter

booksI recently came across the story of a Tesca Fitzgerald, who, at 12, is getting ready to start college and plans to be working her Ph.D. by age 16. Her proud mother credited her daughter's genius to the fact that she was homeschooled. Amazing, right? But I have to tell you, that is as impressive as it is crazy. It made me wonder if I could homeschool my teen or pre-teen. With the cost of private school in New York City, the idea is an attractive one. But I quickly came to my senses and here's why. Check out the 7 reasons I'd never home school my teen.

1. I could probably get him through algebra and geometry, but we'd both need a tutor when it came to calculus. Sure, I took it in high school but it was in one ear and out the other as soon as the final was finished.
  2. I can't imagine his first intense classroom setting being a college lecture. Talk about intimidating.
  3. We'd get sick of each other by week four two. 
  4. When he complains about his bitchy teacher, he'll be talking about me.
  5. When I complain about my crappy job, I'll be talking about him.
  6. I can't teach him the same survival instincts you learn navigating your way though mean girls, jocks, geeks, or whichever else cliques exist these days.
  7. I'm not a trained educator. Parents love to complain about their kids' teachers but it's a tough job. Probably one of the toughest. It's a combo of instructor, counselor, soother, conflict resolution expert, and motivator. How exhausting is that?!

I tip my hat to all those moms and dads who successfully homeschool their children. It's clearly not something every parent can do.

Do you think you could homeschool your teen?

Are you homeschooling your teen? Do you intend to homeschool when your children are teens?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Replies (11-20):
oredeb
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:33 AM
3 moms liked this

i disagree with every thing shes said, but thats just her opinion

hs teenagers is fun! very challenging at times , and worth it! ive homeschooled a lot of them, and never had one that i regretted or couldnt teach

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:37 AM
3 moms liked this

I love teenagers but I don't have any, now. We did homeschooling through high school. Parents who don't stay close to their teenagers are likely not to stay close in the future too. Teens need you MORE than ever before, IMO.

That list is the list of someone who A.) Knows little to nothing about homeschooling and B.) Doesn't want to hang with her teen - ever.

sdgd21
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM
2 moms liked this

I home school 2 wonderful teens. I am so happy that I do. I could 14 reason why you SHOULD homeschool your teens.

sdgd21
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I couldn't agree more.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I love teenagers but I don't have any, now. We did homeschooling through high school. Parents who don't stay close to their teenagers are likely not to stay close in the future too. Teens need you MORE than ever before, IMO.

That list is the list of someone who A.) Knows little to nothing about homeschooling and B.) Doesn't want to hang with her teen - ever.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:03 PM
4 moms liked this
Why do so many moms talk about not being able to stand their kids if they are forced together for the majority of the day?
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't get this either.  I was in a Moms club (well actually I have been in a few) where the moms couldn't believe that I would even think of homeschooling, let alone do it!  And these are the same women that were sending their kids to any preschool program that they could just so they could go to the gym or get their nails done.  LOL

We aren't in those groups anymore since that is just such a foreign concept to me.

Quoting mem82:

Why do so many moms talk about not being able to stand their kids if they are forced together for the majority of the day?

CafeMom Tickers
Precious333
by Julia on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:14 PM
1 mom liked this
She is very misinformed about homeschooling.
swim-mom72
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:18 PM
3 moms liked this

I am completely baffled as to why you would post this in a homeschooling chat forum??

There is no one MORE qualified than me to teach my children. I am the ONE person who will always have their best interest in mind when I choose their curriculum. And my husband and I are better qualified to make decisions about the future of our children because we are only thinking of them, not a classroom or school full of other kids, just ours.

My kids would be more subject to "damage" by attending a school than if they are home with me. Here, they are getting an education that was hand selected for their strengths and weaknesses. They can work at heir own pace and set their own goals; ones that are not state mandated according to the average student. They are able to enjoy more than one field trip a year. They are not exposed to sexual immorality, drugs and other dangers on a daily basis. And they have my undivided attention.

Yes, I homeschool 2 teenagers. And I am proud to be able to do so.

Quoting Sister_Someone:

#7 is the reason why I think homeschooling is just wrong. I wouldn't let someone unqualified or underqualified even step a foot into the lab where I work in fear of them damaging something, so obviously I won't pretend I can teach when I'm not qualified to be an educator.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM
4 moms liked this

Seriously - how difficult is it? Reading books, talking together. Working one on one with a stdent is WAY different than educating in a classroom. I will guarantee you my student will have WAY  better lab skills than most of the kids coming out of the local high school!

Quoting Sister_Someone:

#7 is the reason why I think homeschooling is just wrong. I wouldn't let someone unqualified or underqualified even step a foot into the lab where I work in fear of them damaging something, so obviously I won't pretend I can teach when I'm not qualified to be an educator.

Jinx - Homeschooling, Scouting & Karate butt-kicking  Mom to Star Scout Ian 1/98, Scout Sean 9/00, Junior GS Heidi 4/03. Wife to Joe & Alpha to German Shepherd Spazz.

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm looking forward to it.  Each year we homeschool, I learn more about my children's personalities, and who they are and are becoming as people. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)