Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

7 Reasons I'd Never Homeschool My Teen

Stir article I am posting for discussion.

7 Reasons I'd Never Homeschool My Teen

by Ericka Sóuter

booksI recently came across the story of a Tesca Fitzgerald, who, at 12, is getting ready to start college and plans to be working her Ph.D. by age 16. Her proud mother credited her daughter's genius to the fact that she was homeschooled. Amazing, right? But I have to tell you, that is as impressive as it is crazy. It made me wonder if I could homeschool my teen or pre-teen. With the cost of private school in New York City, the idea is an attractive one. But I quickly came to my senses and here's why. Check out the 7 reasons I'd never home school my teen.

1. I could probably get him through algebra and geometry, but we'd both need a tutor when it came to calculus. Sure, I took it in high school but it was in one ear and out the other as soon as the final was finished.
  2. I can't imagine his first intense classroom setting being a college lecture. Talk about intimidating.
  3. We'd get sick of each other by week four two. 
  4. When he complains about his bitchy teacher, he'll be talking about me.
  5. When I complain about my crappy job, I'll be talking about him.
  6. I can't teach him the same survival instincts you learn navigating your way though mean girls, jocks, geeks, or whichever else cliques exist these days.
  7. I'm not a trained educator. Parents love to complain about their kids' teachers but it's a tough job. Probably one of the toughest. It's a combo of instructor, counselor, soother, conflict resolution expert, and motivator. How exhausting is that?!

I tip my hat to all those moms and dads who successfully homeschool their children. It's clearly not something every parent can do.

Do you think you could homeschool your teen?

Are you homeschooling your teen? Do you intend to homeschool when your children are teens?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Replies (41-43):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM
2 moms liked this
This is just another opinionated education based baited argument to try and make homeschooling families look as terribly foolish and unintelligent as possible just so the public school system can get a positive facelift through negative output.

And I will not be baited.
celticdragon77
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:02 AM

eye rollingrandom cafemom posts - I should have learned by now about opening them. 

"Wouldnt it be nice if we lived in a world where Zimmerman offered Trayvon a ride home to get him out of the rain that night." 

Khanfan
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

You're right.  Anti home school propaganda if I ever saw any.

Quoting Dawn07:

I know homeschooling isn't for everyone, but that sounds more like excuses than reasons, sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN