Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Severe help- Cleaning with homeschooling? Ideas? Tips?

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM
  • 19 Replies

I'm extremely scared how I am going to be able to keep everything up cleaning wise. My MAIN concern is my older 2. THEY DESTROY THEIR ROOM!! Then I say "Ok its a cleaning day." All they have is to clean their room, and it's been FOUR hours, and its still not done. I cant do this anymore, its really destroying me as a mom :( I have spanked, bribed with playing games, going to the pool, candy/treats, anything besides a chart because of funds. HELP ME!! lol.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Amberleigh81
by New Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Remove everything but essentials from their rooms. Bag it up.

Maybe give them chores to "earn" back bags, one at a time.

I don't know, because I just have a toddler, but I know that my mom used to do that with me.

Worst case scenario, just keep their door closed all the time.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:28 PM
2 moms liked this
They need a check list and a timer. Make a comprehensive check list. 1. Put all dirty clothes in the basket 2. Pick up blankets and put on bed. 3. Put all cars in toy box
Make it fool proof.
Then set the timer. Five minutes for clothes. Etc and so on.
Kids can't handle the big messy room but they can handle pick up x put it z.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:39 PM
We have a chore list that changes weekly and they earn magnets. If they get so many then they get a fun activity just them and one parent of their choice.

Quoting mem82:

They need a check list and a timer. Make a comprehensive check list. 1. Put all dirty clothes in the basket 2. Pick up blankets and put on bed. 3. Put all cars in toy box

Make it fool proof.

Then set the timer. Five minutes for clothes. Etc and so on.

Kids can't handle the big messy room but they can handle pick up x put it z.
luvemboth
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM
What we do is they're to pick up their room each evening. Whatever doesn't get picked up, I take. They have to do a chore to earn each thing back. If they're messing around and not really cleaning, then I give them a set time; and whatever's not picked up in that time gets taken. It's worked really well so far.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Also, something I struggle with but am getting better at... Don't have a cleaning day. Clean the rooms twice a day, three times even. We do chores right after breakfast, right after lunch and right before dinner.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree with mem.  I always give a list of very concrete chores. 

My boys are pretty young, but I have had the "toy fairy" come and collect all of the toys that are still lying around the room at bedtime.  They get them back after a week of keeping things clean. 

We also schedule a set cleaning time during our school day.  We set a timer for 5 minutes and get as much as we can in the allotted time.  It's an easy, concrete chore like put all of the leggos in their box or gather all of your dirty clothes and take them to the basement.  We see how many of those little chores we can get accomplished in 5 minutes.

hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:19 PM

I love the idea of this because it *seems* like it should work.  My 4 and 6 year old have had EVERYTHING except their dressers taken out of their room (including beds/matresses), and they are unfortunately, tragically, frustratingly still the nastiest people in the house.  Closely followed by their 8 and 10 year old brothers.  And their 7 year old sister.  I'd love to know the magic bullet.  Oh, would so love to know it.

Quoting Amberleigh81:

Remove everything but essentials from their rooms. Bag it up.

Maybe give them chores to "earn" back bags, one at a time.

I don't know, because I just have a toddler, but I know that my mom used to do that with me.

Worst case scenario, just keep their door closed all the time.

lucsch
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM

I leave my kids' rooms to them. When they can't find something, they clean them. I like to say there is a door on a bedroom for a reason. The rest of the house I determine what can stay and what has to be removed; but I leave the rooms to them. It may take a very long time, but eventually they figure out an organized room feels better.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:51 PM

You have to stay on top of it every day, it can't be a weekly, or whenever, thing. We make our kids clean up everything that's on their floors and make their beds before bedtime every night. Make your kids do it before doing something they enjoy - dinner, or dessert, or watching TV after dinner, whatever. There will be whining but just ignore it and walk away. They will eventually do what they have to do! 

I have a friend who used to have a 'gunnysack,' which was based on some book she'd read to her kids. It was really just a pillowcase. She set a timer for 10 minutes for her kids to pick up. What was left after 10 minutes was eaten by the gunnysack and the only way they got anything back was doing a chore (1 chore = 1 item from gunnysack). Her kids were little - IDK how old yours are, but it worked for them!

oahoah
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:03 AM

We have our kids clean their rooms daily and a "deep clean" once a week.  they are still young so it is easier, in a sense, then if they were teens.  But it is still a battle with our oldest. They are required to make their beds, clean up their clothes/toys from the floor & close their dresser drawers. I have to check on them before we leave and sometimes I forget so it just has to get done, even if it is bedtime they are required to make their beds.

As for the "deep cleaning", they have to vacuum and dust. (my boys are 4, 6, 9). 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)