Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Severe help- Cleaning with homeschooling? Ideas? Tips?

Posted by   + Show Post

I'm extremely scared how I am going to be able to keep everything up cleaning wise. My MAIN concern is my older 2. THEY DESTROY THEIR ROOM!! Then I say "Ok its a cleaning day." All they have is to clean their room, and it's been FOUR hours, and its still not done. I cant do this anymore, its really destroying me as a mom :( I have spanked, bribed with playing games, going to the pool, candy/treats, anything besides a chart because of funds. HELP ME!! lol.

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:16 PM
Replies (11-19):
jellybeans5
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:55 AM

They might just be overwhelmed because of all the stuff they need to pick up at once. It helps if you drastically declutter and pair down to their favorite toys. I have also found that with my kids it is less overwhelming if I have a set pick up time twice a day. It doesn't take nearly as long to clean and never really gets bad because we're keeping on top of it.

Organizing the toys into bins helps too. 1 bin for puzzles, 1 bin for blocks, 1 bin for cars and so on. My kids bins also have a pic of the toy that belongs in that bin to make it even easier.

It's not perfect, it still takes some work, but it has made it a lot better than it was before. My kids are not naturally neat so I have to keep on them all the time.

ps, my kids first bins were free cardboard boxes on a book shelf I got at a garage sale and fixed up. I did that for a long time and it worked well until I bought plastic bins. Cost to me was almost nothing and it worked. :-)

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

You sound overwhelmed. I'm sorry but there is no magic bullet. Kids must be taught how to work. Its just work ethic is all it is. Make that a part of your lesson plan. Learning to work is as important as learning to read. Teach organization and show them how to follow through on a job, not quitting till its done.  Do this every single day. Not one big cleaning event, but every day, just like cooking, bathing, and brushing teeth. All of these are important life skills. Remember, we arent just homeschooling children, we are raising future adults.

KS_WAHM
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Wonder if this would work with my husband, too...

Quoting mem82:

They need a check list and a timer. Make a comprehensive check list. 1. Put all dirty clothes in the basket 2. Pick up blankets and put on bed. 3. Put all cars in toy box
Make it fool proof.
Then set the timer. Five minutes for clothes. Etc and so on.
Kids can't handle the big messy room but they can handle pick up x put it z.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL

Quoting KS_WAHM:

Wonder if this would work with my husband, too...

Quoting mem82:

They need a check list and a timer. Make a comprehensive check list. 1. Put all dirty clothes in the basket 2. Pick up blankets and put on bed. 3. Put all cars in toy box
Make it fool proof.
Then set the timer. Five minutes for clothes. Etc and so on.
Kids can't handle the big messy room but they can handle pick up x put it z.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM
2 moms liked this
You mean I'm the only one who can wiggle her nose and have a clean room? Weird.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:45 PM

We have a very detailed list of responsibilities.....that starts at the vary basic of go potty first thing in the moring to clean your room before breakfast.  The girls know that our day doesn't start until their room is clean and the pets are fed and the day is finished with the room cleaned again before dinner is served and the last thing on the list is go potty before bed.  They are very explicit and for exactly what times of day.  I wish you luck!!  When we put the lists up things got so much better around here.  They even have to clean up the living room and their school work areas before they can watch Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune in the evening, once done the tv is turned on.

oredeb
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:35 PM

this is what promp my kids that i meant business when i say clean your room,  if there was stuff still on the floor and not put in place after a certain amount of time cleaning I took it away. they had to earn it back.  it did help my kids, a lot, took a while (about a month) but they got the idea that when i say clean your room i meant it.

we also cleaned every morning before breakfast,

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:15 PM

Haha I want that super power!

Quoting Boobah:

You mean I'm the only one who can wiggle her nose and have a clean room? Weird.

Momto8kidsyay
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Once it's clean institute a daily routine so it doesn't get that way. Http://fly lady.net for more ideas on how.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)