Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

words the start with...

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:57 AM
  • 5 Replies
How do you teach kids to identify words with the same first letter? So we were working on H. House, Hut, Happy... now what is another word that starts with H? DS (4 1/2) guesses random stuff he sees... so he says TV! Mommy! Table!

How do I teach this?
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:25 AM

Instead of making him randomly guess, try putting three pictures in front of him, where only one sarts with the letter you're searching for. Have him say the names of the picture and see if he can guess which one that way.
If he still struggles, say the name of the pictures for him.
If he still doesn't know,exaggerate the first letter sound (assuming he knows the letter sounds this would work).
That's what I've been doing my with little guy who is also 4. It took quite a bit of time before he actually started realizin what we were doing though. I made it a big deal if he got one right. There were times I would even have to go:
"B-b-b-ball" "D-d-d-dog" "C-c-c-cat" "Which one starts with D?"
"BALL!"
"What does D say?"
"D-d-d-d"
"Does B-b-b-b sound like D-d-d-d?"
"No. Dog!"

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:58 AM

Have you worked on finger stretching the words?  Break the words apart into each individual sound while raising a finger to visually represent each sound.  Work with only 2 and 3 sound words to begin with.  It will help reinforce the first sound. 

Put pictures in front of him and have him finger stretch the words:

Picture of a dog.  "What is this?"  "Dog."  "Good.  So let's say all the sounds that make the word 'dog'" Together: "D-o-g."  "Great."

Once he is doing it on his own you can use the same pictures to find words that begin with certain sounds.

Then start putting down 3 cards and have him find two with the same beginning sound.  At this age he needs very concrete instructions.  Kids will often flounder if they are asked to just pick any word that begins with a letter sound until they have the skill of hearing each sound individually, have the skill of picking out the first or last sound, have the skill of narrowing their entire lexicon down to just the words that match, and doing all of this with little or no visual cues.  He's guessing random stuff he sees because it is concrete in front of him.  He cannot (right now) choose the more abstract words out of the air.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Good advice up there!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

If the great advice given doesn't work he may not be ready for that yet!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I agree with usmom3. He may be too young. Out of my three kids, I only had one that could have done that at 4 and a half. The other two were 6 and nearly 7 before they grasped letter sounds.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN