Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you follow your curric to the letter, or...

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM
  • 24 Replies
Do you follow your curriculum (if you have one) to the letter, or do you skip, add, make up as you go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM
I tend to do what I want and use it as a guide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this

I definately skip, add, and make it up.  LOL. 

jwhit8791
by Jessica on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:38 AM

We skipped a lot of the optional stuff in ours last year.  I am going to try and make up the science experiments that we missed (those weren't optional but life happens) just because my boys like science.  The writing assignments I think I won't.  LOL  You can tell I am not a writer.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:49 AM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, optional to me means "pretend this isn't here".

Quoting jwhit8791:

We skipped a lot of the optional stuff in ours last year.  I am going to try and make up the science experiments that we missed (those weren't optional but life happens) just because my boys like science.  The writing assignments I think I won't.  LOL  You can tell I am not a writer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JadeTigr7
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I use it as a basic guide and then do what works best with my kids.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I don't really have any "scripted" curricula; I have textbooks, worktexts, etc, but none are so scripted that they tell me what to do.

Wish they did, though. Lesson planning would be easier. Lol!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this
The more familiar I am with it, the more I use it as a guide than actually following it.
mhaney03
by Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:42 AM
I skip the speed drills in our math.
bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:59 AM

I follow the curriculum, but sometimes skip and add if I feel it is needed.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:28 AM
When I had a scripted curric (Saxon math) I HATED it. I found myself actually reading it to my child instead of teaching her. I am so, so glad we don't use it anymore.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I don't really have any "scripted" curricula; I have textbooks, worktexts, etc, but none are so scripted that they tell me what to do.

Wish they did, though. Lesson planning would be easier. Lol!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)