Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you follow your curric to the letter, or...

Posted by   + Show Post
Do you follow your curriculum (if you have one) to the letter, or do you skip, add, make up as you go?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Replies (11-20):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I've had scripted before and much prefer it as a teaching style, but the actual curricula didn't suit my daughter well (we are NOT Saxon fans, lol!).

Quoting Boobah:

When I had a scripted curric (Saxon math) I HATED it. I found myself actually reading it to my child instead of teaching her. I am so, so glad we don't use it anymore.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I don't really have any "scripted" curricula; I have textbooks, worktexts, etc, but none are so scripted that they tell me what to do.

Wish they did, though. Lesson planning would be easier. Lol!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:59 PM

Recently I have actually been taking out a few things to make the lessons shorter for my youngest.  Her attention span seems shorter than normal these days.  It has only been the last month or so that I have deviated.  We just found out that she can't see, so that could have been a lot of our problem all along.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I make my own and I just do whatever I think needs done.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Are you kidding???!! LOL I would love to have some nice and easy structure of that nature but that is not my my kids' nature. lol
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Haha! Well when I first started I thought I had to do EVERYTHING just as it was said. That didn't last long. Lol

Quoting kirbymom:

Are you kidding???!! LOL I would love to have some nice and easy structure of that nature but that is not my my kids' nature. lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 17, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Quoting Boobah:

hahaha - I know! :)
oredeb
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:27 PM

i use a bought math book(saxon) and language art book(rod and staff)and i change them

i even change the stuff i make!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM

I use as it fits me and as a reference.  My curriculum works for me.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I use it as a guide.  I skip what they dont need and add and subtract to it as needed.

Aleshad01
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:44 PM
Depends. Sometimes we skip or add some.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)