Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you have meals planned out?

Posted by   + Show Post
Care to share your weekly meal plan for this week?

Do you plan all meals, or just dinner?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:36 PM

DH and I are the same way!  He cooks dinner more than I do-but that is changing as he started a new job and I home all the time (for now anyway) so I have to make an effort to cook more often.  And DH does the grocery shopping, so I try to ask "oh, what did you have in mind for that chicken?" then I try to make whatever he thinks he bought it for.  I try to start thinking of what to make by 3ish so I can take meet out of the freezer and know my plan.  But it's usually like 4:30 when I think "aw, crap, what am I making for dinner??"  I'm getting better, I think once we are in a good routine with all of this newness, I will get better at it.  But we'll see, lol.

When I did the grocery shopping, I liked to have a plan of certain dinners, but then it didn't matter which night we cooked which meal, but at least I had the stuff on hand for 5 or 6 meals (or more, but 5 or 6 really planned ones), I've noticed DH does this sometimes, so that's why I try to ask what he bought a certain meat for, or I try to take notice of the sides and things he bought too.  I figure whatever, it works, even though it's always a debate "what do you want for dinner?"  "I don't know, what do you want?" lol, but we all end up eating and that's what matters, right?

Quoting usmom3:

Nope, I should I think it would make things easier but I am the kind of person that wants to be in the mood for the food & not just eat from a list!

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:12 PM

I have been homeschooling all of my children for going on 8 years (I have also been a stay at home Mom for going on 20 years) & I still do the "OH CR@P, Hubby will be home in 2 hours & I have no clue what we are having for dinner"

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

DH and I are the same way!  He cooks dinner more than I do-but that is changing as he started a new job and I home all the time (for now anyway) so I have to make an effort to cook more often.  And DH does the grocery shopping, so I try to ask "oh, what did you have in mind for that chicken?" then I try to make whatever he thinks he bought it for.  I try to start thinking of what to make by 3ish so I can take meet out of the freezer and know my plan.  But it's usually like 4:30 when I think "aw, crap, what am I making for dinner??"  I'm getting better, I think once we are in a good routine with all of this newness, I will get better at it.  But we'll see, lol.

When I did the grocery shopping, I liked to have a plan of certain dinners, but then it didn't matter which night we cooked which meal, but at least I had the stuff on hand for 5 or 6 meals (or more, but 5 or 6 really planned ones), I've noticed DH does this sometimes, so that's why I try to ask what he bought a certain meat for, or I try to take notice of the sides and things he bought too.  I figure whatever, it works, even though it's always a debate "what do you want for dinner?"  "I don't know, what do you want?" lol, but we all end up eating and that's what matters, right?

Quoting usmom3:

Nope, I should I think it would make things easier but I am the kind of person that wants to be in the mood for the food & not just eat from a list!

Aleshad01
by Alesha on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM
Yes, I always plan my meals. Here is this weeks.

M - fajitas
T - pasta with sauce & meatballs and veggies
W - bow tie pasta and veggies
T & F - chicken & dumplings
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM
You guys really make me look bad. Are you all gourmet chefs or what?! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM

I have a rough idea, enough to shop specifically. However, I keep it flexible. We have "habits" for breakfast and lunches, so I don't really plan those.

I have subscribed to emeals (love the portion control plan). It plans dinners (they have breakfast/lunch plans for extra). They have a shopping list with it.

Then, I go through periods of time where I plan it myself.

This week:
Fish fillets/Homemade mac & cheese/green beans
Veggie Soup and sandwiches and apples
Grilled Italian chicken breasts/Salad/homemade rolls
Spaghetti with homemade sauce with ground turkey and Salad (I make a big bowl)
Mini-meatloafs, mashed potatoes, mixed veggies
Crockpot Fajitas

Homemade French bread Pizzas

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I don't do weekly meal plans, instead I keep an accurate listing of the foods in my pantry along w/ meal ideas - planning is too stressful for me...lol

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I usually only plan dinner and I usually only have a list of meals on hand, but no set day to use them.

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:28 PM

This is me.  I don't plan because even if I did say I was going to do a certain meal, if I felt like something else I would cook what I wanted not what I planned.  lol

Quoting usmom3:

TidewaterClan
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I try to have things on hand for four days worth of dinners. My girls and I usually decide around 4:00 (or 5:00 if we get sidetracked!) which one to make.

Good meal ideas on here though! Lots of fancy ones for sure :)
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:34 AM

Used to be like this too, but I was going to the store like four times a week, which was ridiculous and crazy stressful taking all my kids along too. So now I have a list of things for the week - five or six things - that sound okay, and we eat them whenever, throughout the week. Only exclusion is if we have something that's going to spoil, we eat that first, but otherwise, we pick & choose from the list depending on what sounds good. And recently, depending on how hot it is, what won't heat up the whole house by cooking!

Quoting kmath:

This is me.  I don't plan because even if I did say I was going to do a certain meal, if I felt like something else I would cook what I wanted not what I planned.  lol

Quoting usmom3:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)