Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you have meals planned out?

Posted by   + Show Post
Care to share your weekly meal plan for this week?

Do you plan all meals, or just dinner?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Replies (21-23):
SusanTheWriter
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley...and all that jazz. :)

My pork roast didn't make enough for leftovers, so now I get to wing it.

I started meal planning because hitting 4:30 with no coherent plan was killing me. I'm slow in the kitchen, so that meant we wouldn't eat until very late, which is bad for DH's digestion. Having a list saved my sanity. At first, I was a slave to the list and the plan, but it's gotten a lot more casual. I may have bought those chicken thighs for one thing, but my pantry is usually well-stocked enough that I can use them in several different dishes now.

The bonus of all these years of experience is that I really can wing it for the next couple of days without hitting the shops and we'll still eat well.

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hipmomto3:

Used to be like this too, but I was going to the store like four times a week, which was ridiculous and crazy stressful taking all my kids along too. So now I have a list of things for the week - five or six things - that sound okay, and we eat them whenever, throughout the week. Only exclusion is if we have something that's going to spoil, we eat that first, but otherwise, we pick & choose from the list depending on what sounds good. And recently, depending on how hot it is, what won't heat up the whole house by cooking!

Quoting kmath:

This is me.  I don't plan because even if I did say I was going to do a certain meal, if I felt like something else I would cook what I wanted not what I planned.  lol

Quoting usmom3:

Nope, I should I think it would make things easier but I am the kind of person that wants to be in the mood for the food & not just eat from a list!

That was me, not to mention it was stressful, and the cost was ridiculous. It's so much nicer waking up knowing dinner's already planned.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I HATE going to the store and I HATE meal planning, but it's like, if I can make myself do the latter, I don't have to do the former nearly so often! :)

Right now, I do a BIG shopping trip every other week, and a small/medium trip the other week (so I go once a week). On the weeks I do a BIG trip, I get about 75% of our stuff at Aldi, then another 15% from Walmart, then just a few items (either good sale price or specialty things the other 2 didn't have) at a chain called Schnucks. On the smaller week it's either Aldi or Walmart, only. Usually those trips are for bread, milk, and a handful of fresh produce or other items we've run out of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)