Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you have meals planned out?

Posted by   + Show Post
Care to share your weekly meal plan for this week?

Do you plan all meals, or just dinner?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Replies (21-23):
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley...and all that jazz. :)

My pork roast didn't make enough for leftovers, so now I get to wing it.

I started meal planning because hitting 4:30 with no coherent plan was killing me. I'm slow in the kitchen, so that meant we wouldn't eat until very late, which is bad for DH's digestion. Having a list saved my sanity. At first, I was a slave to the list and the plan, but it's gotten a lot more casual. I may have bought those chicken thighs for one thing, but my pantry is usually well-stocked enough that I can use them in several different dishes now.

The bonus of all these years of experience is that I really can wing it for the next couple of days without hitting the shops and we'll still eat well.

by Group Admin on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting hipmomto3:

Used to be like this too, but I was going to the store like four times a week, which was ridiculous and crazy stressful taking all my kids along too. So now I have a list of things for the week - five or six things - that sound okay, and we eat them whenever, throughout the week. Only exclusion is if we have something that's going to spoil, we eat that first, but otherwise, we pick & choose from the list depending on what sounds good. And recently, depending on how hot it is, what won't heat up the whole house by cooking!

Quoting kmath:

This is me.  I don't plan because even if I did say I was going to do a certain meal, if I felt like something else I would cook what I wanted not what I planned.  lol

Quoting usmom3:

Nope, I should I think it would make things easier but I am the kind of person that wants to be in the mood for the food & not just eat from a list!

That was me, not to mention it was stressful, and the cost was ridiculous. It's so much nicer waking up knowing dinner's already planned.

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I HATE going to the store and I HATE meal planning, but it's like, if I can make myself do the latter, I don't have to do the former nearly so often! :)

Right now, I do a BIG shopping trip every other week, and a small/medium trip the other week (so I go once a week). On the weeks I do a BIG trip, I get about 75% of our stuff at Aldi, then another 15% from Walmart, then just a few items (either good sale price or specialty things the other 2 didn't have) at a chain called Schnucks. On the smaller week it's either Aldi or Walmart, only. Usually those trips are for bread, milk, and a handful of fresh produce or other items we've run out of.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN