Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Back to School sales???

Posted by   + Show Post

Any back to school sales going on?

what are you gona buy?

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 10:27 AM
Replies (21-30):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:50 PM
I enjoyed back to school time as a kid, though we were too poor to really by much. Who remembers Lisa Frank? I could only get one or two of her folders but I thought they were sooooo cool. LOL I was middle popular. I was a student public school was designed to teach so I had a fairly easy time of it until high school.
Quoting AutymsMommy:

*shrug*

I guess we come from different worlds. My husband went to private Catholic school and he loved it (speaks very fondly of it), I went to private for elementary, then public, and enjoyed it; our daughter very much enjoyed Catholic school when she attended brick and mortar, her best friend loves her public school, my neighbors' children all enjoy the local public school... and well, you get the drift, lol.

Quoting usmom3:

Thats interesting because most of the people I know that have attended or are attending PS hate or hated it as much or more then I did.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm sorry you felt that way. Your statement leans to a whole, is my only point, and I know many (if not most) children who are very excited for the school year to start and who LOVE back to school shopping.

Quoting usmom3:

I am sad for the ones that I know feel the way I felt as a child. I would start to feel sick & have a feeling of dread just from seeing the school supplies even thought I knew it was still weeks away. No child should feel that way about something that is supposed to be good for them!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Don't be sad for them. When I was a kid I so loved school shopping! The start of a new school year was exciting!

Quoting usmom3:

I haven't looked yet! I am just so sad for the kids that have to go back to school & are trying to enjoy their summer but every store they go to has back to school stuff up & they literally started putting it out a few weeks after school got out.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I loved Lisa Frank!!!! Oh my gah. Loved the folders too!

Quoting mem82:

I enjoyed back to school time as a kid, though we were too poor to really by much. Who remembers Lisa Frank? I could only get one or two of her folders but I thought they were sooooo cool. LOL I was middle popular. I was a student public school was designed to teach so I had a fairly easy time of it until high school.
Quoting AutymsMommy:

*shrug*

I guess we come from different worlds. My husband went to private Catholic school and he loved it (speaks very fondly of it), I went to private for elementary, then public, and enjoyed it; our daughter very much enjoyed Catholic school when she attended brick and mortar, her best friend loves her public school, my neighbors' children all enjoy the local public school... and well, you get the drift, lol.

Quoting usmom3:

Thats interesting because most of the people I know that have attended or are attending PS hate or hated it as much or more then I did.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

I'm sorry you felt that way. Your statement leans to a whole, is my only point, and I know many (if not most) children who are very excited for the school year to start and who LOVE back to school shopping.

Quoting usmom3:

I am sad for the ones that I know feel the way I felt as a child. I would start to feel sick & have a feeling of dread just from seeing the school supplies even thought I knew it was still weeks away. No child should feel that way about something that is supposed to be good for them!

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Don't be sad for them. When I was a kid I so loved school shopping! The start of a new school year was exciting!

Quoting usmom3:

I haven't looked yet! I am just so sad for the kids that have to go back to school & are trying to enjoy their summer but every store they go to has back to school stuff up & they literally started putting it out a few weeks after school got out.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:00 AM

I need glue, notebooks, copy paper, printer ink, card stock, folders, and ink pens.

unsuspected
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Wishlist: lap top, three hole punch, binding machine, laminating machine and refills, printer ink, page protectors, binders, dry erase makers, scissors, pencils, colored pencils, tape dispenser, high lighters, crayons, glue.
File folders and spray paint to give my filing cabinet a face lift.
I say wishlist because some of the bigger things will have to wait.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 18, 2013 at 1:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Ack! My 12 step program is failing, I can't stop buying back to school stuff!! Hi my name is Shannon and I'm addicted to school/office supplies. You never know when you might need 100 notebooks or 500 pink erasers.....and I would probably find it easier to stop buying if I could ever find paper or pens in my house when I need them....so obviously we need more! 

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting usmom3:

I feel sad that they are starting the back to school sales so early! It's still a month until school starts, only half of their break is over and they have a reminder of the new year already. Also as a former teacher, we'd rather parents wait until the Saturday after school starts to do their shopping for supplies. Some of us have specific supplies and have no way of knowing whether parents can find our lists or not.
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting usmom3:

I feel sad that they are starting the back to school sales so early! It's still a month until school starts, only half of their break is over and they have a reminder of the new year already. Also as a former teacher, we'd rather parents wait until the Saturday after school starts to do their shopping for supplies. Some of us have specific supplies and have no way of knowing whether parents can find our lists or not.

We are starting (here at home at the end of this month).

When Autumn was in brick and mortar school, they were required to have the supplies by Meet the Teacher (several days before school started). I understand that those were your preferences, but the schools around here operated differently I guess, lol.

Not all children find reminders of the new school year to be a bad thing. Like I said, it was always an exciting time for me, as it was for my husband, our eldest... and many of the children I know.

ETA: They were required to have the initial list filled by Meet the Teacher; there was always another list that came home the first week of school, usually with additional classroom supplies and asking us to buy extra of the initial list if we could.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting usmom3:

When Autumn was in brick and mortar school, they were required to have the supplies by Meet the Teacher (several days before school started). I understand that those were your preferences, but the schools around here operated differently I guess, lol.

Not all children find reminders of the new school year to be a bad thing. Like I said, it was always an exciting time for me, as it was for my husband, our eldest... and many of the children I know.

ETA: They were required to have the initial list filled by Meet the Teacher; there was always another list that came home the first week of school, usually with additional classroom supplies and asking us to buy extra of the initial list if we could.

Let me try to explain this better.  Imagine you went on vacation for 2 weeks at the beach.  Would you be pleased to get emails from work on the weekend in the middle?  Would you want to go shopping for office supplies during the weekend?  It's not that school is a bad thing (to me), just that when I go on vacation I don't want to think about work until the last day or so.  I wish to respect my children the same way. 

We already started school at home here.  We only take a month in the summer.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Quoting usmom3:

Let me try to explain this better.  Imagine you went on vacation for 2 weeks at the beach.  Would you be pleased to get emails from work on the weekend in the middle?  Would you want to go shopping for office supplies during the weekend?  It's not that school is a bad thing (to me), just that when I go on vacation I don't want to think about work until the last day or so.  I wish to respect my children the same way. 

We already started school at home here.  We only take a month in the summer.

I think we're coming at this from different places... and that's awesome - I love hearing different perspectives.

As a child, I detested summer break. Not because I didn't love my family, but because I'm not much of a vacation type person, lol - I dislike the beach, hate the heat, don't care for water, absolutely loathe camping and the various other activities my family dragged me on, lol. Summer break for me, ideally, was reading my days away and counting down until the start of the new school year.

On that note, it doesn't bother my husband to get e-mails from work while we're on vacation.

fcage10
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Lots of crayons, pencils and glue!! Filler paper, copy paper, printer ink and things to keep my toddler busy while I teach my 5 and 11 year olds. Walmart has the best overall sale w/o coupons. Office Max has .10 pack of pencils this week...Office Depot has notebook paper .25/150 pk limit 3...Walgreens has folders and mini highlighters 8/$1. There's other deals as well. Check out the Krazy Coupon Lady and Coupon Divas blog. Also search youtube for couponing channels.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN