Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Making Lesson Plans...

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is my first year making lesson plans due to the fact we have used teacher led online schools in the past. SO its taking me forever! I am using Switched on School House with Time for Learning and workbooks as well. So matching up the same lessons with the days are driving me crazy! Any advice on making this a little more simple?

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I am not sure I understand your specific question.  But this is what I do: When You Home School, The Whole World Is Your Classroom (much simpler than trying to duplicate the classroom) .  It contains grade level requirements, how to create your own lesson plans ( template included), and lesson plans that motivate.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:18 PM

I am having some of the same problems, right now I am just working on History using Story of the World, The Times Complete History of the World, the Story of the World Activity Book, allinonehomeschool.com, and Netflix documentaries. 

The best idea I have is to not plan the lessons for certain days, instead I just number them.  That way if we don't finish a lesson or happen to get through 2 lessons in one day, it's really easy to bump the plans ahead or pull them back.

I just lay out my books, and websites and type up a word doc with what chapter/pages to read, what activities to do, additional reading, movie if there is one. 

I just started with one book-Story of the World, and then matched the activity book to it (since they're already matched anyway) and then I check Easy Peasy, then I look through the Complete History of the World to see what pages go with the section in SOTW, then check for something on Netflix that could go along with it.  I also look for maps online or additional reading or other worksheets.

So I know that's just one subject for me, but maybe it helps?  Or maybe I just confused you more, sorry if that's the case!  This is my first year hs'ing and my first year making lesson plans for just my kids, so I'm just as confused as you are, ;)

KS_WAHM
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Just a suggestion (haven't tried this yet):

If you have a local university that has a teaching program, see if any of the students want to make one FOR you for extra practice.  Some of the students I had class with did that for free for parents that homeschooled.  Even if you decide you want to change up the lesson plans, it should still give you a heck of a good place to start.  :)

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Lesson planning is a pain. I agree with numbering the lessons but don't match them up to days. Make sure you leave a gap day that you can catch up anything that you missed. Mine is Friday. I plan nothing or just very few things for the fifth day.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

We've been HSing for over a decade now, so we've kinda found what works for us. And that is, be relaxed and open to change. My kids get to choose their own lessons - which gets rid of 99.99% of any dragging of the feet at school time. But that makes my organization 115% more difficult! So what I do is take the complete outline for T4L for each grade, then made a list of the subject - telling time (for instance) then I just made a list of what other resources I have for telling time - computer games, board games, books, worksheets, etc. this I put into file folders. Each Monday, the kids choose their subjects for the week. Then they can pull the file folders for those subjects and voila - their whole week is right there. Kinda like a combination of child led learning, online learning and work boxes...

Articles / Kicbuttmama's Crazy Lapbooks / Kickbuttmama's Home Education
Albert Einstein -- 
   "Everybody is a Genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spend its whole life believing it is stupid." 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:44 PM

I use a notebook for each subject per kid. I go through the book and divide the chapters up, usually by their sections. I preread the section, decide what questions or review to do. Then I go to the Internet and match up a craft, lab, or game. My DS8 is very hands on so I try to find something for every lesson, or at least, every other lesson. After I do that, I plan my week using the notebook. That helps me know what I will need for the coming week and give me time to set up labs or whatnot.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:45 PM
That's a neat idea.
Quoting KS_WAHM:

Just a suggestion (haven't tried this yet):

If you have a local university that has a teaching program, see if any of the students want to make one FOR you for extra practice.  Some of the students I had class with did that for free for parents that homeschooled.  Even if you decide you want to change up the lesson plans, it should still give you a heck of a good place to start.  :)

oredeb
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:58 AM

well cant you just write what your doing on each online program under the day of the week your doing it?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)