Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Favorite Season to Homeschool?

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM
  • 29 Replies
What is your favorite season to homeschool?

undefined

by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Well I live in New England so it has to be Autumn !

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:07 PM

We live in New England too!  So I would guess Autumn as well, but we haven't hs'ed yet so I don't really know.  I think all the seasons will have their pros!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:42 AM

I like hsing in summer so that the kids are safely sitting at the table while I am canning.  I like hsing in the autumn because we do hikes, I'm still canning, and it's cooling off so we can do more outside stuff.  I like hsing in the winter when we can cuddle around the wood stove for our lessons.  The only one that bugs me is spring.  Most of our learning takes place in the garden, orchard, and at our potting table; so I'm never sure what to write in our book log.  LOL so it's really the state that makes me dislike spring hsing!!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:15 AM

I don't know what you're required to submit (it always sounds like such a pain), but there's gotta be someway to make it sound like the rockin' education it is.  Mentorship, hands-on extended field trip, real world experience, blah blah blah (that blah blah blah kills it for the report, so you might want to leave it out)  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I like hsing in summer so that the kids are safely sitting at the table while I am canning.  I like hsing in the autumn because we do hikes, I'm still canning, and it's cooling off so we can do more outside stuff.  I like hsing in the winter when we can cuddle around the wood stove for our lessons.  The only one that bugs me is spring.  Most of our learning takes place in the garden, orchard, and at our potting table; so I'm never sure what to write in our book log.  LOL so it's really the state that makes me dislike spring hsing!!

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Summer and fall. We don't do lessons in the summer, but more field trips. We do most lesson work through winter because I hate leaving the house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:16 AM

LOL!  In the pictures and portfolio stuff it looks AWESOME.  But our book log is the way they count our attendance.  This last year I used pages from "Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots" and "Storey's Guide to Raising Goats" as our "textbooks".  But it was nearly the same set of pages each day for weeks.  It was a bit funny, but I did worry that they would say something.  :-)

Quoting hwblyf:

I don't know what you're required to submit (it always sounds like such a pain), but there's gotta be someway to make it sound like the rockin' education it is.  Mentorship, hands-on extended field trip, real world experience, blah blah blah (that blah blah blah kills it for the report, so you might want to leave it out)  :)

Quoting bluerooffarm:

oredeb
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:49 AM

oregon in the autumn!!! yea!

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I love Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots!  She's got another one--Trowel and Error.  Add that one to your book list.  :)  This year I want to do acidity testing when I can.  I read somewhere that you shouldn't make your own canning recipes because you need to get the acidity right, so I thought we'd make an attempt this year and learn how to test acidity.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

LOL!  In the pictures and portfolio stuff it looks AWESOME.  But our book log is the way they count our attendance.  This last year I used pages from "Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots" and "Storey's Guide to Raising Goats" as our "textbooks".  But it was nearly the same set of pages each day for weeks.  It was a bit funny, but I did worry that they would say something.  :-)

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I think I love fall the best for just about everything!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:11 PM

This year we are setting up a raised bed "square Foot Gardening" plot and a "Lasagna Gardening" plot and going to compare the results.  We're also adding some cooking books: "Local Flavors", "Simply in Season", and "Serving up the Harvest."  We also need to get in the orchard and prune, so we'll be able to use our backyard Orcharding book.  So I do have more selection for this year, but I'll definately add Trowel and Error to our wishlist.

We use litmus testing paper in some of our cheese recipes.  I have enough canning books and canning recipes that I don't make many of my own other than pressure canning ones.  I play with those because you just use the times with the longest canning ingredient.  I would even use the pressure canner to do some tomato recipes just to be sure.  Then again, my pressure canner does 19 pints at a time, so I'm a bit partial.  LOL

Quoting hwblyf:

I love Roots, Shoots, Buckets and Boots!  She's got another one--Trowel and Error.  Add that one to your book list.  :)  This year I want to do acidity testing when I can.  I read somewhere that you shouldn't make your own canning recipes because you need to get the acidity right, so I thought we'd make an attempt this year and learn how to test acidity.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)