Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

What school of though are you?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM
  • 16 Replies

Do you follow a certain type of homeschooling "philosophy?" I didn't even know there were so many different "options" when I started.  I guess I kind of follow a more sort of unschooling approach with brief interludes of "traditional" studying (working out of a workbook at a desk). I like getting my kids outside and asking questions and museum trips and reading books. Sometimes I wonder if I don't stress the actual curriculum enough. We'll see, I guess. lol

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:25 AM

We are eclectic.  We do some work in workbooks.  We do lots of hands on stuff.  We do child-led by choosing topics at the beginning of the semester.  We do some unschooling at certain times of the year.  We do some great field trips.  We just do it all.

oredeb
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:48 AM
2 moms liked this

i do all of the thoughts of schooling, yes there is a lot of them now, when i first started there was only one and it was called 'homeschooling' now theres so many!

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Traditionally scholastic, I suppose; textbooks, worktexts, hands on, structured.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM

We started out kind of unschooling, Charlotte Mason type(even though I didn't know that was a method at the time)  hands on, crafty kind of schooling. The older the kids get, the harder it gets to find "crafty" stuff they don't feel is beneath them. We've evolved into a more textbook approach as they've gotten older and more independant. DD likes the definitive start and stop feeling of textbook chapters. I suspect our methods will continue to change to meet their needs as we go through high school.

lucsch
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:16 PM

We use whatever works.

For math, we use CLE, a workbook, which includes all of the teaching in it. However, I use it in a very interactive way.

For grammar, we use R&S, a textbook, but we work through it orally, except where writing is necessary (diagramming or writing assignments).

We use a lot of "living books" to teach history and even science. We do timelines, history projects, notebooking, science experiments. She has done oral narration and written summations in her notebooks for comprehension.

We use a combination of a puzzle type workbook and a CM approach for vocabulary. We use Word Ladders for the former. With the latter, she has a few words from her reading she looks up in a traditional dictionary, writes the definition, a sentence, and draws a picture, then files it in alphabetical order in a binder with ABC tabs.

For spelling, we use a workbook, CLP's Building Spelling Skills and also dictation, a CM approach.

For handwriting, up through 4th grade, we used ARFH then Pentime (for cursive). Now, she is required to do all of her work neatly in cursive. We will use copywork for handwriting practice from now on.

For writing, she does notebooking, written narrations across the curriculum. However, I am adding this year a more formal writing program to teach the traditional forms as writing, as well. I am taking parts of IEW and Four Square Writing to teach that.

For reading, we have done HOD. This year we are trying ACE 6TH grade PACES for Literature and Creative Writing.  Basically, anything we use is based upon reading a real book (not a reader) and doing activities with it to learn literature analysis and comprehension.

We do a few other subjects, too. Notice there are no quizzes or tests mentioned.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM
We started off as a mix of classical and Charlotte mason. That lasted about.... 3 months. Ha! We now school with the Waldorf method and really love it. It fits our family and values perfectly. We substitute just a little. So I'd say Waldorf and unschooling, they go pretty well together.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Greyoaks
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:59 PM

The plan is unschooling through grade two then curriculum and online learning through a trusted reformed Christian publisher from there on.  Gives us a core curriculum that fits our state's testing requirements, does some higher education and leaves enough time/room for us to add specialized learning (music, home finances, additional language, etc.) without overtaxing the little one.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

My homeschooling philosophy is also a life one for me. Learning is like breathing, it is natural & instinctual!

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:28 PM

This is us.  We do a little of everything.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We are eclectic.  We do some work in workbooks.  We do lots of hands on stuff.  We do child-led by choosing topics at the beginning of the semester.  We do some unschooling at certain times of the year.  We do some great field trips.  We just do it all.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM

We are eclectic new agers. We pull from all over the place and teach our children their Asatru faith throughout.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)