Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

We have the worst luck. OT

Posted by   + Show Post
In December, dh rear ended a lady who stopped quickly in the rain. His car got totaled, we got all that taken care of.

We have been getting ready to build a house. Finally had the house plan chosen, price negotiated, financing getting started and my dad (who owns the land) decided not to do it, yesterday.

And this morning, DH was on his way home from work, and someone rear ended him.

I'm going to need lots of thoughts and prayers to get through the events of the last two days, so if anyone is feeling generous, we could use them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Replies (21-30):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:04 PM
I'm so hopeful you are right!! We have been through the wringer with houses, we want it so bad. Maybe we need to stop trying and it will just come.

I made cookies, and my mom watched the girls while Kevin and I went to homerama (ironic). It was nice to just get out for a bit. Although it kind of stung looking at all the pretty houses.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Bad things happen in 3s, right? So that's 3. You're bad luck is done, I will wave my magic wand...or at least send good thoughts and prayers. Remember "this too shall pass." I certainly know how you are feeling, and it will get better! How disappointing though, the house thing has to be such a huge let down after starting to get excited (been there with trying to buy a house...every time I think we are getting close it always falls through...we will never own a house at this rate!).

Have some chocolate, or wine, or a nice bath, give your kids lots of hugs, and you'll start to feel better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:30 PM
We want it so bad too! Our student loans have ruined our dreams :(. We thought we were doing the right thing by going to school but our degrees aren't even being used and our debt to income ratio is absurd because of the loans.

Glad you got to go out, it stings but our time HAS to come! I always try to remember good things come to those who wait. At least we know we aren't the only ones, we can commiserate together.

Quoting Boobah:

I'm so hopeful you are right!! We have been through the wringer with houses, we want it so bad. Maybe we need to stop trying and it will just come.

I made cookies, and my mom watched the girls while Kevin and I went to homerama (ironic). It was nice to just get out for a bit. Although it kind of stung looking at all the pretty houses.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Bad things happen in 3s, right? So that's 3. You're bad luck is done, I will wave my magic wand...or at least send good thoughts and prayers. Remember "this too shall pass." I certainly know how you are feeling, and it will get better! How disappointing though, the house thing has to be such a huge let down after starting to get excited (been there with trying to buy a house...every time I think we are getting close it always falls through...we will never own a house at this rate!).

Have some chocolate, or wine, or a nice bath, give your kids lots of hugs, and you'll start to feel better.

haskins46563
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:32 AM

Take it from someone who used to have a land contract with her in laws, it was a blessing in disguise.  It's not a good situation to be in.  My husband borrowed the money from his parents to buy our land, and then bit by bit the money to build the house.  We got married when the house was framed and sided, but nothing inside.  We lived here after we got married and it was constant arguing because it was "their" money.  They got mad with everything we decided to do and if we spent any money NOT on the house or to pay them back, we were horrible people.  

There is also a huge liability.  Unless he deeds the land over to you, he would own it.  If he dies and has debts then the land would need to be sold to cover those.  And then your house is on top of something you don't have any rights to.  Or if your dad gets sued for something big.  He could lose the land and you'd be stuck again with a house on land you don't own.

My in laws hate me and there I was with a 1 year old and married for 3 years, most of which I made more money and we put everything I earned into a house my in laws controlled.  I realized that if anything happened to my husband, I'd be homeless and broke.  My in laws would have taken the house and kicked me to the curb.  I had no legal standing since they only had a verbal agreement with my husband. We slapped the house together as fast as we could to get it done enough to finance through the bank and I never regretted it for a minute because now it is OURS.  No other hands in the pot.  

run away from this and don't look back.  It was a blessing.  

Khanfan
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:43 AM

I've prayed and will continue.

Mommynay2
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM
Sorry for all that, my luck has been bad lately. First I find out I am anemic, then I have been having problems with my knees and was diagnosed with osteoarthirits and my right knee I have patellar tendonitis. Then my physical therapist actually felt my knee bones rubbing together and going sideways. Now yesterday my refrigerator died and I didn't find out til later in the day and my landlady said they can't do anything til Monday. It's like one thing after another.
tmcris
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Sending prayers your way:)

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM
We would be on the deed, the land is free and clear. And we were financing the house, they were going to live in the daylight basement. Though I am thinking maybe blessing in disguise. :)

Quoting haskins46563:

Take it from someone who used to have a land contract with her in laws, it was a blessing in disguise.  It's not a good situation to be in.  My husband borrowed the money from his parents to buy our land, and then bit by bit the money to build the house.  We got married when the house was framed and sided, but nothing inside.  We lived here after we got married and it was constant arguing because it was "their" money.  They got mad with everything we decided to do and if we spent any money NOT on the house or to pay them back, we were horrible people.  

There is also a huge liability.  Unless he deeds the land over to you, he would own it.  If he dies and has debts then the land would need to be sold to cover those.  And then your house is on top of something you don't have any rights to.  Or if your dad gets sued for something big.  He could lose the land and you'd be stuck again with a house on land you don't own.

My in laws hate me and there I was with a 1 year old and married for 3 years, most of which I made more money and we put everything I earned into a house my in laws controlled.  I realized that if anything happened to my husband, I'd be homeless and broke.  My in laws would have taken the house and kicked me to the curb.  I had no legal standing since they only had a verbal agreement with my husband. We slapped the house together as fast as we could to get it done enough to finance through the bank and I never regretted it for a minute because now it is OURS.  No other hands in the pot.  

run away from this and don't look back.  It was a blessing.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM
Ouch! What do they do for that? Is there a supplement you can take to rebuild the cartlidge? Hugs!

Quoting Mommynay2:

Sorry for all that, my luck has been bad lately. First I find out I am anemic, then I have been having problems with my knees and was diagnosed with osteoarthirits and my right knee I have patellar tendonitis. Then my physical therapist actually felt my knee bones rubbing together and going sideways. Now yesterday my refrigerator died and I didn't find out til later in the day and my landlady said they can't do anything til Monday. It's like one thing after another.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Aww - Sweety! Of course you have my thoughts and prayers!
Mommynay2
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Hi so far my physical therapist is focusing on me strengthening my legs. I have to do these exercises daily. I have to get physical therapy twice a week for 5 weeks and then we can discuss where we go from there. I will admit I'm very nervous.

Quoting Boobah:

Ouch! What do they do for that? Is there a supplement you can take to rebuild the cartlidge? Hugs!

Quoting Mommynay2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)