Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Talk printers to me

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM
  • 10 Replies
I JUST bought this printer a year ago or so. It's an hp 4500 something with printer/scanner/fax/copier.

It won't feed, the paper jams, says I don't have paper, says the ink cartridge is malfunctioning. It has never scanned since I bought it.

Basically, it's a piece of junk, and I need a new printer.

Only requirements is it needs to be reasonably priced, DURABLE, inexpensive ink, and color. I would like it to have a copier as well, but fax isn't needed. I can still use the fax part of this one.

What do you have? Do you like it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Knightquester
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:14 PM

My husband bought me a new printer at the beginning of this year.  Our old printer had just started showing signs of needing to replaced after 7 years of constant use.  We went with the same name brand, Epson, as our old printer since it had worked so well and for so long.

Our new printer is an Epson Workforce Pro WP-4530 Series.  It took some getting used to, but I like it.  No issues so far and I like the fact that the ink cartridges are double the size of the ones I had in my previous printer, so they last even longer.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 19, 2013 at 10:54 PM
I have a Kodak c315 (I think that's the number). It was great but it would randomly not be connected via wifi which was so annoying, but I could connect it with a USB or spend a bit reconnecting it wirelessly. The ink was fairly pricey and I think (?) Kodak went out of business so DH was nervous about my being able to get more ink.

We went to buy ink a couple months ago and a brand new all in one was only $20 more so we got a new printer, an Epson wf-2450, I like it a lot. It has worked great but I am out of black ink, I bought an ink refill kit but the cartridges are impossible to refill, so I have to buy refillable cartridges, or new cartridges.
wowguildmomma
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Mine is a Canon MG3122. 

Its a multifunction that also allows me to print from my phone (which is great when i am surfing the teachers pay teachers app instead of sleeping).

It also has a quiet mode setting so i can print during naptimes without waking kids up.

Besides that i have really liked that i can opt to pay for the XL ink cartridges instead of the regular ones. I usually end up using up one set monthly to bi-monthly so a new set is part of our supplies budget. not as big as my lexmark multifunction was so it fits nicely onto my desk allowing better access to the scanner.

My only cons is the wireless function is a lil difficult to set up sometimes. and occasionally it gets cranky about the cardstock but luckly that is an easy fix thanks to a emergency hatch on the back that allows you to free anything jammed. 

I also wish the controls were on the front or had a pop up panel instead of flat on the printer.

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:01 PM

My printer/scanner is great as far as reliability, jamming, etc - it works really well and is very easy to use. It jammed one me ONCE in 2 years I've owned it - turned out one of DD's hair elastics had fallen down into it. :) I turned it upside down and it was fine.

However, the ink cartridges don't hold a ton, so I feel like I have to buy ink way more often than I did with our previous printer. I print, IDK, a normal amount for a homeschooler - probably around 20 pages a week - mostly b&w but sometimes color. I have to buy  ink about every 3 months, and it costs $15 per cartridge (each, color, and black). So that's annoying. 

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Mobile Photo

This is what I got. It can print up to 3000 pages. Toner costs $72. I just use this for worksheets in black and white. I have a canon that prints colored but seldom use.
luvemboth
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM
I just bought a Canon MG 5422 last week, after my other Canon printer of 7 yrs started acting up. It's a 3 in 1 (copy, scan, print...no fax). So far I love it. It sounds similar to wowguildmomma's printer ^. You can do wireless printing from a computer, tablet or phone, it takes the individual color ink tanks (so you only have to replace the color you run out of, not the entire pack of every color when you run out of just 1 color) and it holds the standard size or xl ink tanks.

It also turns off after so many minutes of not being used...which is great because since its wireless, we have it in a different room than the computer and we don't have to worry about always remembering to go turn it off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I have heard Epson is a good brand. And bigger cartridges are a bonus :) are they pricey?

Quoting Knightquester:

My husband bought me a new printer at the beginning of this year.  Our old printer had just started showing signs of needing to replaced after 7 years of constant use.  We went with the same name brand, Epson, as our old printer since it had worked so well and for so long.

Our new printer is an Epson Workforce Pro WP-4530 Series.  It took some getting used to, but I like it.  No issues so far and I like the fact that the ink cartridges are double the size of the ones I had in my previous printer, so they last even longer.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM
What brand is yours?

Quoting hipmomto3:

My printer/scanner is great as far as reliability, jamming, etc - it works really well and is very easy to use. It jammed one me ONCE in 2 years I've owned it - turned out one of DD's hair elastics had fallen down into it. :) I turned it upside down and it was fine.

However, the ink cartridges don't hold a ton, so I feel like I have to buy ink way more often than I did with our previous printer. I print, IDK, a normal amount for a homeschooler - probably around 20 pages a week - mostly b&w but sometimes color. I have to buy  ink about every 3 months, and it costs $15 per cartridge (each, color, and black). So that's annoying. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:15 PM
Lol - We just bought a Lexmark for $70 and then it started having issues. Then, we found out that the ink costs $150 a piece!!!! So, since it won't receive faxes and the paper jams up coming out and so many more things wrong with it that we took it back and are in the market for another one ASAP.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Oh my gosh!!! That shouldn't be allowed. It just makes me sick. And how much does ink really cost to make, you know? Pennies.

Quoting kirbymom:

Lol - We just bought a Lexmark for $70 and then it started having issues. Then, we found out that the ink costs $150 a piece!!!! So, since it won't receive faxes and the paper jams up coming out and so many more things wrong with it that we took it back and are in the market for another one ASAP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN