Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Questions on literature?

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
  • 6 Replies

My kids are 9, 7, about to be 6, and 4

We want to freelance out literature instead of a program but a bit baffled, 

Do we do just young story books (i.e. When you give a mouse a cookie, Gingerbread Boy, Stone Soup, Where the Wild Things Are) for the younger 2 and more advanced stuff (Narnia, Magic Tree House, Little House on Prarie) for the older two or just do them all on one set?

Last year we did each individually and this year we want to stream line it a bit more to make it easier on scheduling.

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

With those ages, I'm not sure that you could streamline it - obviously, you don't want a 9 year old working from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie, lol... nor would you want a 4 or 6 year old working from Narnia, kwim? IMO, even your older two are gapped enough that they should be doing their own lit.

I wouldn't worry about formal lit analysis at those ages, personally - just have them read their individual assignment and then choose a common interest book to read aloud (separately from their lit assignments.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I went and checked out your profile (adorable kids). I have to say You might have trouble stream lining. You've got 3 boys, one girl and some special needs. 

Narnia is cool but I read those as an adult and a 9 year old will definitely miss ideas and concepts. Narnia is not just about cute animals, it is also a creation story. Very advanced reading as a whole set of books. 

Since you have a diverse group of kids I'd make it easier by letting them pick things they want to read (within their reading level). I let my special needs son read Scooby doo, pokemon, green lantern....What ever gets him to read!

Also check out Judy Blume..I love her children's books!

gacgbaker
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:28 PM
I agree, it seems like it would be hard to streamline it- we have ages similar (11,7,4,2, and 1) and we do some of the younger readers (like one a day) and then we also read a few chapters all together from books like Narnia. Obviously the younger kids miss some concepts from the older kids books- but I am always surprised at what the younger kids do pick up from the older readers. The older kids enjoy the young kids books since they remember them from when they were younger, and the younger kids like feeling like big kids being included in their story time- so I would just do a little of each and do it all together to see how it goes.
oredeb
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:13 AM

well what i did was read what the older kids would be interested in, the younger ones loved to listen even though they didnt understand, but they picked up things, but maybe you mean reading individually? then let them read their age group. my kids loved having the time to read together even if they didnt understand the book, but talking about it will broaden their minds! and having them tell someone else what they heard helps a lot, its amazing what kids can pick up!

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 3:39 PM

I only read the kids' books as fun extra reading.  We only do serious literature for our school studies.  We do a short story each week to discuss vocabulary, literature elements, and plot studies.  I do seperate chapter book studies with my oldest 2 each month. 
Examples:  This month we have read The Butter Battle Book, You Are Mine, The Adventures of Mole Rat and Toad, and Two Bad Mice this month.  We pulled vocabulary from each book and did a book walk (Author, Title, Illustrator, Table of Contents, Main characters along with Direct and Indirect Characterization, Plot devices, Setting, and Allusions).  Then my oldest one is reading Bridge to Neverland and my middle boy is reading Little Bear's Visit.  My boys are 4, 6, and 8.  Some of the Indirect Characterization and Allusions went over the 4yo's head, but they follw along very well.  The novels (chapter books) help to stretch the older 2.

wowguildmomma
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:56 PM

tyvm for the advice ladies. It helps tremendously to have a awesome group to be able to ask question to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)