Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT-Ugh facebook....and politics...

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

Not trying to start drama in here, just need somewhere to vent about this for a minute!

I stopped going on fb for a few months because of the stupidity. lol.  Then school ended and I wasn't working anymore, so I pop on (much less than I used to still) now and then to see what everyone is up to.  Well a coworker (soon to be former coworker when I resign next week) posted this yesterday:

"About freaking time...
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20130719/US--No.Child.Left.Behind/"

The article is about them dismantling NCLB.  This person is a good friend, I like her a lot, but her and her hubby (whom also works at the same school) are very democrat/liberal and I am just more conservative.  They are good people and we get along great, we just have much different views, and I tend to listen to and somewhat believe what some would call conspiracy theories ;)  (I also do my own research as well)

So I responded: "Just in time for common core...I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't think things will be getting any better." 

A huge reason I am leaving the school is because they have been implementing CCSS over the past year and it is very sad to me to watch what it is doing to the teachers and, in turn, the students.  Although I always wanted to be a teacher, the CCSS just goes against nearly everything I believe teaching should be.

So then this morning she posted this:

"I don't understand how people can live their lives focused on conspiracy theories and hearsay."

I want to respond (but I won't) by saying "I don't understand how people can't admit that conspiracy theories may have some truth behind them" or "a theory can be disproven, if there is proof against it, then someone should show it" lol, but I won't start the drama.

I'm just feeling better about my decision to hs and cannot wait to post that on fb and see the reactions from that!

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM
I read an article about dismantling nclb. It was a bad policy made with good intentions. I worked with teachers back when it started and they are saying the same things about it that everyone is saying about common core. Ugh. The system is so messed up.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

I feel like there is no "magic" answer, and they shouldn't pass these things that are just impossible to maintain and will not help our children.  I know there were more magic answers before NCLB, and now it's the common core.  People need to realize that there isn't a one size fits all answer.  I know that there are good intentions behind these ideas, but when will we realize that there is no perfect solution? Especially not coming from people who do not work in the classrooms.

Quoting mem82:

I read an article about dismantling nclb. It was a bad policy made with good intentions. I worked with teachers back when it started and they are saying the same things about it that everyone is saying about common core. Ugh. The system is so messed up.

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Our local schood district is really pushing STEM schools starting at K and going up. I would like to see more of that sort of thing.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I feel like there is no "magic" answer, and they shouldn't pass these things that are just impossible to maintain and will not help our children.  I know there were more magic answers before NCLB, and now it's the common core.  People need to realize that there isn't a one size fits all answer.  I know that there are good intentions behind these ideas, but when will we realize that there is no perfect solution? Especially not coming from people who do not work in the classrooms.

Quoting mem82:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

I really worry about the other kids in that case though...my son is a complete STEM kid-he will be an engineer or mathmetician, he is just one of those people.  But my daughter is not, she is artsy and an animal lover.  She would do horribly if just focused on the STEM stuff.  I sometimes wish there was a way to split them at lower levels like they do in high school-let them choose some of their classes or have two middle schools-one STEM-ish and the other liberal arts-ish.  Let kids switch if they need to (not constantly, but let it be a possibility).  I just wish there was a way to focus more on what the kids need than trying to fit them all into a mold. 

Quoting mem82:

Our local schood district is really pushing STEM schools starting at K and going up. I would like to see more of that sort of thing.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting mem82:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 2:56 PM
Here two or three of the Elem. are normal and two are STEM with one focused on the globe and the other on the environment. Then the middle schools and high schools are split the same way.
Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I really worry about the other kids in that case though...my son is a complete STEM kid-he will be an engineer or mathmetician, he is just one of those people.  But my daughter is not, she is artsy and an animal lover.  She would do horribly if just focused on the STEM stuff.  I sometimes wish there was a way to split them at lower levels like they do in high school-let them choose some of their classes or have two middle schools-one STEM-ish and the other liberal arts-ish.  Let kids switch if they need to (not constantly, but let it be a possibility).  I just wish there was a way to focus more on what the kids need than trying to fit them all into a mold. 

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting mem82:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM

Do the kids or parents get a choice where they go?

In my town (which is basically the same across our state) we have two elem schools, you go to the one you live near, they are basically the same.  They get combined at one middle school-with no leveled or optional classes until 7th grade.  Then one ginormous high school (with additional towns coming in) with lots of levels and choices, but still required core classes.

Quoting mem82:

Here two or three of the Elem. are normal and two are STEM with one focused on the globe and the other on the environment. Then the middle schools and high schools are split the same way.
Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting mem82:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

yes, you can pick where to go, though there aren't as many spots for the STEM programs.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

In my town (which is basically the same across our state) we have two elem schools, you go to the one you live near, they are basically the same.  They get combined at one middle school-with no leveled or optional classes until 7th grade.  Then one ginormous high school (with additional towns coming in) with lots of levels and choices, but still required core classes.

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting mem82:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 4:45 PM

That's really neat.  I'd like to see the studies in a few years on how that works out.  I think it's great to have an option at the younger level. 

Quoting mem82:

yes, you can pick where to go, though there aren't as many spots for the STEM programs.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting mem82:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:40 PM
You are right that it is a sad situation all around.
Cemommster
by Jenny on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:53 PM

So wait, does she think CC is a conspiracy theory?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)