Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

OT-Ugh facebook....and politics...

Posted by   + Show Post

Not trying to start drama in here, just need somewhere to vent about this for a minute!

I stopped going on fb for a few months because of the stupidity. lol.  Then school ended and I wasn't working anymore, so I pop on (much less than I used to still) now and then to see what everyone is up to.  Well a coworker (soon to be former coworker when I resign next week) posted this yesterday:

"About freaking time...
http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-politics/20130719/US--No.Child.Left.Behind/"

The article is about them dismantling NCLB.  This person is a good friend, I like her a lot, but her and her hubby (whom also works at the same school) are very democrat/liberal and I am just more conservative.  They are good people and we get along great, we just have much different views, and I tend to listen to and somewhat believe what some would call conspiracy theories ;)  (I also do my own research as well)

So I responded: "Just in time for common core...I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I don't think things will be getting any better." 

A huge reason I am leaving the school is because they have been implementing CCSS over the past year and it is very sad to me to watch what it is doing to the teachers and, in turn, the students.  Although I always wanted to be a teacher, the CCSS just goes against nearly everything I believe teaching should be.

So then this morning she posted this:

"I don't understand how people can live their lives focused on conspiracy theories and hearsay."

I want to respond (but I won't) by saying "I don't understand how people can't admit that conspiracy theories may have some truth behind them" or "a theory can be disproven, if there is proof against it, then someone should show it" lol, but I won't start the drama.

I'm just feeling better about my decision to hs and cannot wait to post that on fb and see the reactions from that!

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Replies (11-20):
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:04 PM

I'm not positive that was meant toward me, but at work I they all know I have much different views than most of them and I realized this year that I really don't fit in with all of them.

I think that she, along with many others, think that people who are against the CC are crazy conspiracy theorists that think the government is up to no good in regards to the CC. 

I think that she thinks CC will fix all the problems with our education system.

Quoting Cemommster:

So wait, does she think CC is a conspiracy theory?

Cemommster
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Gotta love that attitude.  I had a life long friend, unfriend me, because she too is a teacher and thinks I am crazy for my opinon on CC.  Oh well, life would be boring if we all agreed on everything.

And sorry, our gov't is up to no good.  NCLB should have already proven that to them.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I'm not positive that was meant toward me, but at work I they all know I have much different views than most of them and I realized this year that I really don't fit in with all of them.

I think that she, along with many others, think that people who are against the CC are crazy conspiracy theorists that think the government is up to no good in regards to the CC. 

Quoting Cemommster:

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:38 PM

I feel like it's pretty arrogant, or ignorant, to think that it is IMPOSSIBLE for there to be ill intentions from some politicians/the government. NCLB wasn't even the first time the government overstepped and screwed things up, and CC won't be the last I am sure.  I think it's crazy to be so glad NCLB is over and at the same time think CC is going to be the perfect answer, NCLB sounded great in the beginning too!

I am SURE I will lose some "friends" when they find out we are hsing.  I figure if they don't want to be my friend bc of hsing and my opinions, then they aren't real friends anyway.

Quoting Cemommster:

Gotta love that attitude.  I had a life long friend, unfriend me, because she too is a teacher and thinks I am crazy for my opinon on CC.  Oh well, life would be boring if we all agreed on everything.

And sorry, our gov't is up to no good.  NCLB should have already proven that to them.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting Cemommster:

AngelSinger
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM

When it comes to politics, I don't tend to reply on a person's post when I disagree with them on FB. It never ends well.

My best friend is conservative while I am liberal. We get along famously, because we never talk about politics. Or religion (she's an atheist, I'm a Christian).

But sex is still totally not off-limits.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:11 PM

That's funny, I won't talk about sex with anyone except my hubby. 

I typically don't respond to posts when I disagree, especially political ones.  I could have a field day with the drama it could start, lol.  But I stay away from it.  I thought my comment was fairly harmless, and just let my opinion out that I don't think the cc is the magic answer to all our public education problems.

The day gun rights came up at work during lunch (our school is pre-k and k only, half days, so we all had lunch for one hour together between sessions, small staff of about 20, maybe 15 of us in the lunchroom that day) was the best.  lol, I may be in the minority with them, but I had damn good points, lol.  That day and the rest of that week I found out which coworkers were actual friends and which ones couldn't be friends with someone with different opinions than them, it was very interesting.  I definitely don't belong there, sadly because I am a great/natural born teacher.  But at least my kids will benefit from that now ;)

Quoting AngelSinger:

When it comes to politics, I don't tend to reply on a person's post when I disagree with them on FB. It never ends well.

My best friend is conservative while I am liberal. We get along famously, because we never talk about politics. Or religion (she's an atheist, I'm a Christian).

But sex is still totally not off-limits.

Momof697
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I am sorry what is CCSS?   I understand your problems I have had the same kind of stuff too.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Common Core State Standards...new education standards from the federal government

Quoting Momof697:

I am sorry what is CCSS?   I understand your problems I have had the same kind of stuff too.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I've lost several friends over FB drama myself, but I don't really feel the loss. I can't carry around baggage in the form of negative people, or people who just need to tear me down over my choices and beliefs. I call it "purging", rather than "losing a friend".

Mandallyn
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I think it's great people are talking about politics.  We've let it go for so long for the sake of politeness and look where it's gotten us.  Even if it's annoying and we don't agree it's still better than the alternative of not talking about it.

My feelings about Common Core are still being formulated.  I'm not crazy about NCLB, or our current situation with public education, especially since public education isn't enough to get a decent paying job anymore.  :oP  Anyway... know how you feel, still think it's for the better that we talk about the things that make us uncomfortable than let them go.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Nclb was great for children who were behind. But for children who were not behind or where ahead it sucked. That could not be fun for the teacher. My mom and I argued about it because she thought it meant all kids get to work at their own levels. I knew better and knew how hard school would be for my oldest if I made her stay.

From what I have seen of common core it will confuse a lot of kids. I know it confuses me. I do not believe it would be better.

People need more open discussions on thing because that is how our government is getting away with stupid laws. They change them when we are afraid and when they think they can confuse us.

While I think every public school should learn the same things at the same time ( military kids move every year in the middle of school). I think the teachers should have more say on how they teach the materials and when they need to take a little longer or move a little faster. As long as they are all in the general area then it would work for all the kids moving around our country.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)