Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Anyone from NY? (IHIP Question)

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:20 PM
  • 3 Replies

...that can share a sample of acceptable IHIP info? This is the first year that I am homeschooling. I have the IHIP form but I just need to know how much detail I must provide to my school district. I understand that I need to provide the subject and the curriculum textbooks. Do I also need to list, in detail, exactly what is in each curriculum? For instance, this blog shows a sample of an IHIP:

http://homeschoolinginnewyorkcity.blogspot.com/2005/08/sample-ihip-4th-grade.html

Do I need to include that much detail if I'm providing the names and volumes of the books, and materials that I'm using?

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 6:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
NYCitymomx3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 10:42 PM

You don't have to provide a list of what's in your curriculum or a list of curriculum textbooks - that's just one option.  A general plan of instruction tends to be the easier way to do it because then your quarterlies can be brief.  I prefer more info in the IHIP (once a year) than in the quarterlies (4x a year).  Book titles tell the superintendent nothing.  Your quarterlies will have to be so detailed.

diane125
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I see, so the more info that I provide on the IHIP, the less I would need to put on for the quarterlies. Thanks for the tip!

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

You don't have to provide a list of what's in your curriculum or a list of curriculum textbooks - that's just one option.  A general plan of instruction tends to be the easier way to do it because then your quarterlies can be brief.  I prefer more info in the IHIP (once a year) than in the quarterlies (4x a year).  Book titles tell the superintendent nothing.  Your quarterlies will have to be so detailed.

amanda.lyn
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Personally I just list my books in my ihip, and for a subject without a book like gym, I simply say "participating in...but not limited to..." I always keep it very basic. For my quarterlies, I go to the table of contents and type four or so items that we covered. Like; for NY history "program included; citizenship, volunteering, making your voice heard, and reasons to be proud to be a New Yorker." I keep it all simple, if they need more info they will ask. But in nine years, they haven't. They harp on me for other stuff, like my personal info or my phone number - which I won't give them. Good luck!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)