Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Back to school shopping ... Not!

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM
  • 20 Replies
4 moms liked this

So as we approach back to school season I realized just how much money I will be saving just by homeschooling. We started in January and this is my first full year. Surprisingly, I see now that I couldn't afford public school. From the new clothes and shoes to shopping for a long list of items that I had to get even though my one child would never use them all during that year. It was all too much. I also didn't know that I was subconsciously trying to impress the teachers and other parents in an effort to ensure they didn't prejudge us. And so they would hopefully treat my son well. I'm so glad I do t have to worry about any of this anymore!
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM
1 mom liked this

I was told that homeschooling would be so expensive by friends. Mind you they didn't homeschool though. My first year was pricey but even that was cheaper than public school.

The kids gave up name brand clothes, we didn't need to buy all this silly things that the schools demanded, no more $40 backpacks for each kid, and honestly no more chiropractor appointments with co-pays. Yeah the backpacks were actually hurting the kids physically.

Then we found that we didn't need to actually buy fancy curriculums because we had such an amazing public library. I didn't have to buy all these books for the kids to read that never get read again because yeah we can get those at the library too.

All the trips we used to take now came with educator discounts, all the craft supplies were discounted, all the school supplies were discounted, and many things were free. It was beautiful how every time I looked around there was less money going out the door.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:31 PM
Hind sight is always 20/20. :). Hopefully when looking back, we see what needs improvement or what different choices should be made. I am so glad that everything is working out for you and your family. :)
all2gethernow
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:33 PM
AMEN!!! 13 years of NOT doing it and counting:)!
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Eh. Between curricula, necessary school supplies for the house, and still necessary clothing, I spend more now (homeschooling) than I did during dd's short stint in public school.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:32 AM

Ours would have to have uniforms & the huge list of supplies. We would be so deep in debt if we didn't homeschool. Oh & not to mention all the snacks they make you supply for the whole class & things like that. Public school ends up costing a ton.

QueenCreole313
by Julia on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:08 AM
Every year I would have to end up charging things for back school. Usually it was school clothes and uniforms when he was in private school. I bought our main curriculum at discount. This has been so freeing. 😎
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM
I agree. The quantity of things we would have to buy, and additional things, treats and snacks and cups and plates and more. It was a ton of money. Yes, I still buy snacks for my kids, but I was buying for 27 kids and it had to be prepackaged, and only served one day out of the month. I can buy snacks for ALL my kids for a month or two with the same amount of money, healthier options. It's a lot cheaper when you don't have to buy individual servings. We had to bring a snack and drink, plus napkins or anything that went along with the snack.

I barely spend anything in comparison.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mhaney03
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM
Even just not buying uniforms saves me money. If you wanted the good quality sturdy uniforms that lasted more than a month you had to pay 3x the price of the cheap ones.
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:28 AM
This year we have spent about 300 dollars, for 4 kids. But I think after buying the 2 girls each 5 new outfit's, including socks and underwear it would have cost me at least that much with supplies and I buy cheap clothes.

But I feel when you make a choice of which kind of school you do, you do not complain about the cost. If we went to public school I would just try to find stuff I like that is cheap and a good quality and buy over time. That's what I try to do anyway.
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:12 PM
1 mom liked this

I find that what you spend as a homeschooler is really up to you where as when you use the PS you have no choice but to spend a minimum amount of money because they demand you buy specific things.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)