Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Back to school shopping ... Not!

So as we approach back to school season I realized just how much money I will be saving just by homeschooling. We started in January and this is my first full year. Surprisingly, I see now that I couldn't afford public school. From the new clothes and shoes to shopping for a long list of items that I had to get even though my one child would never use them all during that year. It was all too much. I also didn't know that I was subconsciously trying to impress the teachers and other parents in an effort to ensure they didn't prejudge us. And so they would hopefully treat my son well. I'm so glad I do t have to worry about any of this anymore!
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 7:09 PM
Replies (11-20):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:31 PM

One of the best things is the ability to wait on certain things. When Cole rips his last pair of jeans, usually I can wait (if I need to) to buy a new pair. If Missie's shirts start getting a little short, no big deal.

haskins46563
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:32 AM

No school pictures twice a year and class pictures once a year.  No fundraisers several times a year.  Ditto on the snacks.  No pressure on me to buy extra supplies since "I can afford it" when I know that a vast majority can't or won't.  I didn't save a lot last year, but I definately spent it on much more fun stuff ;)

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:24 AM

I have no comparison, as my boys never went to PS.

oredeb
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM

yea!!!!!

Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Yay to no fundraisers! And I'm a sucker for photos so I just had to buy the $40 packages in the fall and spring even though both times he had a goofy smile.

Quoting haskins46563:

No school pictures twice a year and class pictures once a year.  No fundraisers several times a year.  Ditto on the snacks.  No pressure on me to buy extra supplies since "I can afford it" when I know that a vast majority can't or won't.  I didn't save a lot last year, but I definately spent it on much more fun stuff ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I admit to feeling a bit smug as I walk past the uniform departments while I'm shopping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NANA9259
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

BUMP!

haskins46563
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:56 PM

I guess I shouldn't say "no" fundraisers. My daughter does one for gymnastics, but it isn't required, it just puts money in an account for her to offset competition fees.  And my son does one for wrestling, but it's little Caeser's pizza and its delicious and inexpensive so I don't complain about that one :)

Quoting Bluecalm:

Yay to no fundraisers! And I'm a sucker for photos so I just had to buy the $40 packages in the fall and spring even though both times he had a goofy smile.

Quoting haskins46563:

mhaney03
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM

OMG I totally did this today!

Quoting Bluecalm:

I admit to feeling a bit smug as I walk past the uniform departments while I'm shopping.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:44 AM

It's the weekly nickel and diming that I do not miss!  I do have a few more things to buy, but I've spent about $1200 on my 3 boys for the total package (curriculum, supplies, clothes).  When my oldest went to PS, I spent nearly $600 on just him!  Then each month the school would send home the book order forms, a supply request, some charity drive, a snack request, and some kind of other order form (shirts, "spirit gear," teacher's appreciation, fundraiser, something!!)  Every single week they asked for money for something.  It drove me crazy!  And I would send it in, because I didn't want to be "that mom."  It's nice to spend the money and know exactly what I'm getting.  It's nice to choose the charities that align with our values.  And it's nice to be able to give our time in addition to our money. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)