Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
How do you build your confidence in yourself? What do you do?

undefined

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:10 PM
You know, I think I just might try this. See what happens. :) What changes happen.

Quoting KickButtMama:

I advise my clients, and I do it myself, to start a ME journal. Each day I have to write 1 thing good about myself - something I did great that day.....even if it was something simple like I made an awesome dinner. But I can't write anything negative (like I can't write, "I did a great job at biting my tongue and not telling everyone they stink"). Over a little while this retrains the brain to not focus so much on the negatives, and instead focuses on our triumphs - of which there are more than you think. 

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

When it comes to homeschooling, I think you build it. I learn from my many mistakes. With my experience as a first timer, it's a trial and error. There are errors that can be avoided if I knew family here in our area that are homeschooling too but I don't.

Quoting kirbymom:

Are you naturally confident or do you have to work for it?

Quoting mommy4lyf:

Books, internet, blogs, support groups and actual experience.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:12 PM

For some, maybe, but for some strange reason I tend to "trust" people who have no investment in me when they say positive things rather than those I love or respect.

I also believe in fake it until you make it.

Quoting kirbymom:

Is that the only way you gain confidence? Do you think that confidence is also built from a praise here or there from someone whose opinions you respect?

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

I also research the heck of of anything I do. So, when I make a decision, I know why and I know how I'm going to do it.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:06 PM
My sparring class, reading about others that have overcome, surrounding myself with people that appreciate and believe in me. Removing all negative talk in my head.(some days are easier than others.) Facing my fears head on and trying new things. I am not naturally confident but I am gaining more confidence each and every day. I currently learning how to do tornado kicks in karate. They are a big confidence booster. Every time I get better at something incredibly hard it builds my confidence to new heights.
TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I fake it til I make it! lol, that's what I say anyway.

I just remind myself that I am educated and capable.  I am intelligent and caring. 

As far as looks-I am not very confident.  I have come a long way though, when I met my DH I didn't think I was attractive at all.  He has really boosted my self-confidence over the years ;)  I fake confidence because I want DD to be confident, and I think how a mom acts rubs off on her daughter(s), I think my mom's lack of confidence contributed to mine.  Listening to her question her looks and her weight made me think that one always should worry about those things.  So I try to not say anything negative about myself in front of DD.

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:34 AM

There is nothing better at building confidence than sparring. I sure miss it!

Quoting jen2150:

My sparring class, reading about others that have overcome, surrounding myself with people that appreciate and believe in me. Removing all negative talk in my head.(some days are easier than others.) Facing my fears head on and trying new things. I am not naturally confident but I am gaining more confidence each and every day. I currently learning how to do tornado kicks in karate. They are a big confidence booster. Every time I get better at something incredibly hard it builds my confidence to new heights.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Usually I just remind myself that I am intelligent, care more, and am closer to the issues than an outsider would be.

ETA:  Was that confidence in homeschooling or life in general?

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Completely agree.  It is really scary knowing someone is going to hit you.  When I first started sparring I had trouble keeping my eyes open while sparring.  As I became better and started winning points more often I became a lot more confident.  I feel on top of the world after sparring class.  I am on vacation till the end of August  in MT and I really miss coming to sparring and my regular karate class.

Quoting KickButtMama:

There is nothing better at building confidence than sparring. I sure miss it!

Quoting jen2150:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I have that same " trust ". I was once told that it was called being naive. I say yes and no. :)

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:00 PM
I am not naturally a confident person either but after being married to a man who is very confident, well, some of that seems to have rubbed off a bit. Lol

Quoting jen2150:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN