Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
How do you build your confidence in yourself? What do you do?

undefined

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 8:33 PM
Replies (21-30):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM
Well, like you are confident about your appearance, do you think that your daughters pick up on that and are confident in the same way? Does that make more sense? I hope.:)

Quoting Boobah:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:12 PM
That would be affirmative. :)

Yes. Both.

You are definitely confident. Are you more so because of being a teacher?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Usually I just remind myself that I am intelligent, care more, and am closer to the issues than an outsider would be.

ETA:  Was that confidence in homeschooling or life in general?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM
I am a lot more confident because of my hubby also. He has helped boost my confidence in myself and my capabilities and now that a few years have passed, I am confident being a teacher.
I also believe that my kids learn to believe in themselves because of how confident I am in myself. So I have had to be very careful what I say about my personal looks or thoughts.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

I fake it til I make it! lol, that's what I say anyway.

I just remind myself that I am educated and capable.  I am intelligent and caring. 

As far as looks-I am not very confident.  I have come a long way though, when I met my DH I didn't think I was attractive at all.  He has really boosted my self-confidence over the years ;)  I fake confidence because I want DD to be confident, and I think how a mom acts rubs off on her daughter(s), I think my mom's lack of confidence contributed to mine.  Listening to her question her looks and her weight made me think that one always should worry about those things.  So I try to not say anything negative about myself in front of DD.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:47 PM

I find when people use the word naive to describe one, it's not a complement. That person would not, therefore be trusted from that time on.

Quoting kirbymom:

I have that same " trust ". I was once told that it was called being naive. I say yes and no. :)

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes I am more confident because I was a teacher.  Fortunately it also helps me see how great others are doing and I get to remind them that they are doing a great job too. 

With the rest of life, I am not confident at all.  I am a major introvert and would just rather stay around the house.  My hubby gives me some confidence, but he also helps to enable me.  He'll take care of things just so I don't have to. (and I love him for it!)

Quoting kirbymom:

That would be affirmative. :)

Yes. Both.

You are definitely confident. Are you more so because of being a teacher?

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Usually I just remind myself that I am intelligent, care more, and am closer to the issues than an outsider would be.

ETA:  Was that confidence in homeschooling or life in general?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I am the same in almost every way. The only difference is my hubby has me do things and male decisions just do O grow in my self confidence. Very frustrating. lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Ha. I am glad someone else does not appreciate this word any more than I do. I can't begin to tell you how many times I heard this word growing up. It was Bantied about like a bi word. Some people seem to be okay with it though. Probably because they truly don't understand it's full meaning.

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:33 AM
1 mom liked this

That would be very frustrating to me.  My hubby and I just work with each other's strangths and work around our weaknesses.  It would probably be better for us if we pushed each other out of our comfort zones more often, but the world does that enough IMO.   I'm pretty great at teaching and he is not, so I'm the one that teaches people how to reduce their power bill while he's the one that puts up their solar panels.  So the customers get both services from us and we don't have to leave our comfort zone.  LOL

Quoting kirbymom:

I am the same in almost every way. The only difference is my hubby has me do things and male decisions just do O grow in my self confidence. Very frustrating. lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

brennan5882300
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:44 AM

What a great idea!  I'm stealing it.  Thanks!

Quoting KickButtMama:

I advise my clients, and I do it myself, to start a ME journal. Each day I have to write 1 thing good about myself - something I did great that day.....even if it was something simple like I made an awesome dinner. But I can't write anything negative (like I can't write, "I did a great job at biting my tongue and not telling everyone they stink"). Over a little while this retrains the brain to not focus so much on the negatives, and instead focuses on our triumphs - of which there are more than you think. 

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

I am of this school of thought as well.  I have always faked it until I made it.  I sometimes do this with my parenting...lol.  I make it work.  I project tons of confidence and if people only knew the "real" me they would see something completely different.

Quoting SusanTheWriter:

I'm of the "fake it til you make it" school of thought. :)

Whenever I'm facing a situation where I'm feeling less than amazing, I check my hair, put on my lipstick, stand up straight, and put a big ol' smile on my face before I walk in.

9 times out of 10, I will find a way to get what I need out of the situation painlessly. The other time, I encounter someone so intractable they'd rebuff a saint. Their loss.

But when I show how uncertain I am, I have a much harder time accomplishing my task, whatever it may be. People ignore me, misunderstand me, or they're abrupt and rude.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)