Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

need some ideas

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:23 PM
  • 9 Replies

My 6 year old dd has started writing to a pen pal. I am looking for fun ideas to keep it interesting for both girls involved. I never had a pen pal as a kid so I really don't know what to do for them.

by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 2:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Have them send each other things that your city or state are known for. Or they could send post cards that have pictures of landmarks from their states.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:46 PM
1 mom liked this

If it is another home schooled child, they like talking about the things they are learning.  Have her take pictures of some of those things.  She could write about them, and send pictures.  They could also become part of her journal. 

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I searched pinterest and found one of those About Me worksheets. Maybe that will be a good starter since this will be the first thing for them.

hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this

You could also find a code book and send letters in code.  We have several and my kids love them!

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM

that is a cute idea but i am not sure my 6 yr old could do it just yet. might have to keep that one for later :)

Quoting hwblyf:

You could also find a code book and send letters in code.  We have several and my kids love them!

hwblyf
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:13 AM

http://www.amazon.com/Clancys-Secret-Codes-Adrienne-Mason/dp/1550745530/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1374505832&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=lu+and+clancy%27s+secret+codes

There are codes that a 6 year old can do, so long as they can write.  You can write in blue, color on top of it with a red crayon, and then view it with red cellophane.  That might just be enough to wet their interest, and then they'll look for other codes to tackle.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

that is a cute idea but i am not sure my 6 yr old could do it just yet. might have to keep that one for later :)

Quoting hwblyf:

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM
What about homemade invisible ink?
twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:00 PM

never would have thought about that. hmmmmm.

Quoting mem82:

What about homemade invisible ink?

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I will have to look for that. thank you. it sounds like fun and she might be able to handle that.

Quoting hwblyf:

http://www.amazon.com/Clancys-Secret-Codes-Adrienne-Mason/dp/1550745530/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1374505832&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=lu+and+clancy%27s+secret+codes

There are codes that a 6 year old can do, so long as they can write.  You can write in blue, color on top of it with a red crayon, and then view it with red cellophane.  That might just be enough to wet their interest, and then they'll look for other codes to tackle.

Quoting twyliatepeka:

Quoting hwblyf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)