Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I got a copy of Saxon Math 5/4 for $5 for the text and solutions manual, I couldn't pass it up.  I have no idea what I am using for math yet.  I want to try this with my DD10-she is going into 5th grade but is a bit behind, IMO.  I looked at the table of contents and I think the topics will be good for her.

I'm a bit nervous because I think Saxon is a spiral program and that is what our ps used (a spiral program but not Saxon) and it wasn't good for her.  I *think* because this will be a lot of review for her and because we can slow down or speed up depending on how much she "gets" it, that this could be a good place to start.  Since it was only $5, I won't be incredibly disappointed if it doesn't work and I am open to trying something different if it's not working for her.

Do you have any opinions on Saxon or any advice for my plan? 

by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 5:40 PM
Replies (21-23):
JKronrod
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:26 AM

We've had mixed results with Saxon.  My daughter is doing very well with it.  I call her my "slow and steady wins the race" girl.  That's not because she's "slow," but she learns things gradually over time, as opposed to my son who tends to get things fast -- and then forgets them just as fast, or makes a lot of mistakes.  It seems to be working well for her, maybe because the approach is "slow and steady" learning, gradually, over time.  My son didn't do well with it.  We've gone to a more conventional approach  for him so that he is able to fully master each subject and then move on to the next (with review). 

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:56 PM

This has been similar to our experience, as well. When too much time is spent on a specific area of focus, like area of rectangles, they forget what was covered a few weeks before, then when it appears again (as everything does in math!) it's like starting from scratch. 

I feel like the Saxon book has enough problems to really make sure my child has "mastered" the concept before we move on. She does the pre-test, then activity box, then practice, so not including the pre-test, it's about 30 problems. If I grade it and see she's not getting 90% or better (she sometimes misses a few due to copying errors or distraction - 41 vs 14, etc) then I'd have her do that assignment over again the next day. 

I do think the CD lessons we have help a lot. They are called DIVE if anyone is interested in supplementing with those. 

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

He was always OK at math, but since we started using Saxon a year ago, he is so much better at it.  He is so confident in his math abilities now that he zips through lessons really fast.  I feel that Saxon does a great job at explaining a new concept.  Then there are about 10 practice problems of that new concept.  Then there are 30 more problems that are a mixture of the last dozen or so lessons - including the current lesson.  The spiral is what creates mastery (for ds, anyway).  Being able to do review problems in each lesson keeps the info fresh.   When we used a mastery program, ds would know the info really well at the time, but then a few months later, almost completely forget all of it.  That was insanely frustrating.  I would have to re-teach things over and over.  Saxon took care of that problem for us.  

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

You say "ds is awesome at math now" did he have a hard time before?  My dd had a hard time in ps with a spiral math program.  I'm hoping just being home is what she needs to grasp the concepts, but having a good math program will help too!

Quoting NYCitymomx3:

We use Saxon and we love it.  Ds started with 7/6 this past year and we plan on using it all the way through high school.  It has the perfect amount of review and ds is awesome at math now.  

amanda.lyn
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM
I used Saxon myself in school.I loved it so much that I bought it for my oldest. He hated math the beginning. We used it for four years, then switched to teaching text books. He never enjoyed the Saxon. I guess it depends on what kind of student you are. Math minded students will do well.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)