Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling with an extra child

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM
  • 12 Replies
I will be watching a 2 almost 3 year old 3 days a week this school year. How hard is it to school with an extra child running around? That will make 3 under 4 plus my older two.
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PurpleCupcake
by Cynthia on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I think with that much going on it will be impossible to keep that extra child separate from you hs kids. I would just include her. At that age, some good workbooks, working on letter sounds, dolch words, and some touch math could keep her busy. Oh and lots of hands on activities (coloring, play dough, painting).

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:23 AM
3 moms liked this

Ugh. 

I would just make that child do whatever your under-K aged kids are doing when it comes to school. And make the older two understand that younger kids=less school time. That was an issue for my oldest for awhile ("Why do I have to keep working when they get to go watch a movie?!" - because they have the attention span of gnats and it's the only way to get a half hour of peace so I can go over this with you!!!).

KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Eek, good luck! But really you already have plenty of little ones running around, I'd say one more wont make much of a difference? I agree, make them do the same as you'd make your own toddler do, a d just be sure the elder kids have lots of independant work available to them during that time. 

oredeb
by debbie on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:29 AM
2 moms liked this

well i've done it for years, and i just add the child to the bunch, everyone helping each other, once the extra child gets use to your routine its not so hard! i bet the child will learn a bit also.

debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:54 AM
I agree with everyone else. When my niece was with us last year I had her work with us. But I also had hands on quite stuff for the little kids to play with when they got bored.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM
My kids are used to the older ones homeschooling so they are a little bit trained to amuse themselves in the morning, though I was preparing to do a lite pre-K program with my 4 year old. I think I am going to try to include all the little kids in some sort of program.
Quoting PurpleCupcake:

I think with that much going on it will be impossible to keep that extra child separate from you hs kids. I would just include her. At that age, some good workbooks, working on letter sounds, dolch words, and some touch math could keep her busy. Oh and lots of hands on activities (coloring, play dough, painting).

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM
I was kind of thinking the same thing. One more can't be too hard. lol
Quoting KickButtMama:

Eek, good luck! But really you already have plenty of little ones running around, I'd say one more wont make much of a difference? I agree, make them do the same as you'd make your own toddler do, a d just be sure the elder kids have lots of independant work available to them during that time. 

gacgbaker
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM

I'm dealing with that now- and it's a big challenge.  I am watching a 3 almost 4 year old, so we have 4 under 5 two days a week, along with my two older kids that I am doing school with (and expecting another in December).  I think it can depend on the child- the one I watch is absolutely a handful and if I am not paying complete attention to him he will be hitting, punching, spitting the other younger children.  He is a pretty big distraction and I feel like I am just taking him to time out more times then we get anything done.  For now, I have the kids working on their independent work, and then I try to and do some ABC's and other basics with the younger kids including the child I am watching.  I give them some papers to color and 'work' on while I work with the older kids- but that doesn't always help.  The good thing is, he does nap, so sometimes we save things for then- but that makes things difficult on other levels (time to clean up, and other things like that get put off more then I like). 

The child I watch lacks structure at home, so that is a big factor- I really think it depends mostly on the child and parents and how well they can get on board with your routine. 

Good luck!

Knightquester
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:51 PM

When we started homeschooling my youngest was 3 years old at the time and so whenever he wanted to do work while his three older siblings were working in the school room I would put something in front of him.  When he was done doing school then I would put him in the living room or his room to either watch television or play and let him know he wasn't to disturb the other kids.  If he messed with them he could earn himself a nap or time-out, so the room his older siblings were in was off limits unless he wanted to do school work quietly.  I also didn't allow toys in the school room, so he wasn't able to bring his mess with him whenever he did visit.

I would just set boundaries for the child you're watching, at age three they are able to comprehend boundaries and what's off-limits.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I would just include them in to everything you do with your children that are around their age!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)