Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms
Do you play scrabble? It's a great way to build one's vocabulary. :) And it also builds spelling ability.

undefined

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Replies (11-20):
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM
Have any competitions going yet? There is always one going in our house. Even the little kids get in on it. :)

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

This is one of our family's favs to play.

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

If my girl is in her normal brain she usually wins. If not my husband wins. LOL

Quoting kirbymom:

Have any competitions going yet? There is always one going in our house. Even the little kids get in on it. :)

Quoting Bleacheddecay:

This is one of our family's favs to play.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:58 PM
Lol - that sounds like me. My kids are really great at most every game and always win. So I hate playing sometimes knowing I am going to lose . :)

Quoting Dawn07:

Yes, I love scrabble, but I can't get Dh to play with me. The first time we played I pulled a good one on my second turn and got a lot of points and he was like I quit, I'm not playing with you ever again. *sigh* Just my luck.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM

It's a lesson in suckology.  Someone else sucking makes you feel better.  :)  I need to get the board down today, thanks for the reminder!

Quoting kirbymom:

For some reason, this just made me feel better. :).

Yes, the more you play, the better you get.

Quoting hwblyf:

My oldest 2 were playing today.  They suck something fierce.  But they've gotta get better, right?

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM
Ha. I play it on my phone too. ;) that is what got me started on this post,

quote name="oredeb" id="0"]

oh yes we all play scrabble its part of our spelling program and vocab program! and i play it on my phone with a friend

[/quote]
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Ha. I've played that version. I love it. :) it is also helpful in spelling and vocabulary. You'll have some great spellers soon.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We have played upwords, which is similar.  In upwords you can put a letter on top of another letter to change the word.  Like you could have the word chop on the board and put an s over the c to make shop.  It's really helping my middle boy (6) with his word families and sounding out.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Most people I know have never heard of it.  I like regular scrabble, too but the boys still get frustrated with it.  They're young, they'll like it later. :-)

Quoting kirbymom:

Ha. I've played that version. I love it. :) it is also helpful in spelling and vocabulary. You'll have some great spellers soon.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We have played upwords, which is similar.  In upwords you can put a letter on top of another letter to change the word.  Like you could have the word chop on the board and put an s over the c to make shop.  It's really helping my middle boy (6) with his word families and sounding out.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:48 PM
Ahahaha - you're funny. I'd tell them to hone up on their spelling skills then. :)

Quoting usmom3:

I suck at spelling so the only way I will play is if I can have a dictionary, but then no one wants to play with me because I have the biggest vocabulary in the house!

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Aww - why ?

Quoting Mommynay2:

I have Scrabble but nobody wants to play with me.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Yeah, my brother got it a few years back. He was obsessed there for awhile. He had to play every day for sp long. lol

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)