Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

reading with NO help

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM
  • 12 Replies
At about what age did your child read comfortably with NO help? I mean without stumbling over words, asking what a word is, comprehending what is going on.....reading like you and I would read.
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:50 PM

My oldest was in 1st grade and my youngest has just recently.  He is going into 4th grade in August.  Reading has a huge gap.

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Mine are like Jen's.  My oldest was about 1st grade, and my youngest is going into 5th and I would say the beginning of 4th she did.  So DS had just turned 6, and DD was 9. 

oahoah
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:37 AM
My oldest is 8 and has been independently reading for about 2 years. DS2 is 6 and is doing so now.
KickButtMama
by Shannon on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Comfortably? Idk, my kids prefer I read to them, so they stumble as much as possible...lol

AJ-47
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:48 AM
My Son was 5 1/2. That's when He began reading chapter books, and has been since. He was about halfway through Kindergarten.
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:20 AM

My oldest was nearly 6.  My middle is six now and is nowhere near reading on his own.

oredeb
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 10:31 AM

oldest was 7

next one was 8

next one 5

nest one 10

they all were ready at different ages, they all started at different ages(when they were ready)

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:49 PM

This is the way my younger 2 are!

Quoting KickButtMama:

Comfortably? Idk, my kids prefer I read to them, so they stumble as much as possible...lol

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Oldest was 5, middle was 7, and youngest was 9. I find it amusing that "experts" warn that kids that don't get early reading intervention suffer terribly and will be horribly behind. All of mine, regardless of when they learn to read, all end up at the same point by about age 9 or 10. 

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:14 PM
Well, oldest started at 4 next was at 9, next was about 5/6, next was just at 5, next is just now getting comfortable and she is 9, the next one is 6 and he is trying hard. My youngest is yes and no on the subject still.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN