Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do you make it all happen?

Posted by   + Show Post
So my husband and I were talking and decided that our family needs a makeover. I'm wondering what are some of the things that you ladies do to help your family stay on schedule, complete daily task as well as maintain a household. Any tips will help to add to my epic week of planning and organizing. Thanks so much
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Replies (21-29):
jwhit8791
by Jessica on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM

We do have a lot of clothes.....too many for my taste but I can't seem to downsize.  :)

I am trying to set up a home binder following Large Family Logistics and she suggests doing things on certain days, like laundry day, kitchen day, office day, errand day.  So far, I am getting lost with whatever system I try.  LOL

Actually, I take that back.  I think she has laundry day and then does  a 4 loads by 4 thing also.  She has like 8-9 kids (can't remember) so I am sure she couldn't do all hers in one day either.

Quoting mem82:

We do at least a load of clothes a day, and then towels and dishtowels a few times a week. You'll drown if you try to slam it out in one day, honestly. Unless you guys have a large laundry room AND a lot of clothes to wear. LOL

Quoting jwhit8791:

How many loads do you ladies do in a week?  Right now we are at 6-7 (rarely 8) but I am sure with our fourth baby on the way that will change too.  Right now, I am trying to do laundry all in one day but I am not sure it wouldn't be better to switch to doing maybe one to two loads a day.  THoughts?  Sorry for the hijack OP

Quoting mem82:

I hear you. There is six of us. We load the washer first thing, then flip it after breakfast.

Quoting sdgd21:

I agree with that, but if have to add laundry, we have 6 of us. It piles up fast.

Quoting mem82:

I suggest getting your paperwork sorted, your school in order and kitchen. If those areas are organized, then other things fall into place.

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:53 PM

We also do a load every day and a load of towels each on Wednesday and Saturday.  We tried having a "laundry day" but I felt like I was drowning in laundry by the end of the day, 9 loads takes so many hours!!

Quoting jwhit8791:

How many loads do you ladies do in a week?  Right now we are at 6-7 (rarely 8) but I am sure with our fourth baby on the way that will change too.  Right now, I am trying to do laundry all in one day but I am not sure it wouldn't be better to switch to doing maybe one to two loads a day.  THoughts?  Sorry for the hijack OP

Quoting mem82:

I hear you. There is six of us. We load the washer first thing, then flip it after breakfast.

Quoting sdgd21:

I agree with that, but if have to add laundry, we have 6 of us. It piles up fast.

Quoting mem82:

I suggest getting your paperwork sorted, your school in order and kitchen. If those areas are organized, then other things fall into place.

sdgd21
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM
I do 8-10, I have all boys lol

Quoting jwhit8791:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting sdgd21:

Quoting mem82:

sdgd21
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:10 PM
That was how I felt too

Quoting bluerooffarm:

We also do a load every day and a load of towels each on Wednesday and Saturday.  We tried having a "laundry day" but I felt like I was drowning in laundry by the end of the day, 9 loads takes so many hours!!

Quoting jwhit8791:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting sdgd21:

Quoting mem82:

bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I have all boys too.  A good friend calls them appetites with dirt on them.  LOL

Quoting sdgd21:

That was how I felt too

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jwhit8791:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting sdgd21:

Quoting mem82:

sdgd21
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol true.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I have all boys too.  A good friend calls them appetites with dirt on them.  LOL

Quoting sdgd21:

That was how I felt too

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jwhit8791:

Quoting mem82:

Quoting sdgd21:

Quoting mem82:

Christie1952
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:53 PM

We set up a chart listing all of the chores. There was a A list for the harder ones and a B list for the easier ones. Everyone had to pick 1 A and 2 B's for the day. Set  it up with all of the days of the month. That way you get to choose what to do and helping out is an important part of learning. That is the only schedule we kept.

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM
1 mom liked this

My girls have a responsiblity list that they have to follow.  It starts with the very basic...go potty first thing in the morning....to school work and chores.  I honestly have a HARD time keeping anywhere other than my main living areas clean and laundry mostly done.  I work from home and have to factor in everything else.  By the time I hit the end of the day I am so mentally drained that I don't want to do anything else.  I try to make sure that dinner hits the table by 6 consistently.  My girls are even learning to help fold the laundry which is taking a load or 2 off my list of to do things.

School is so well scheduled and we have such a good system in place.  We start no later than 10 and are usually finished no later than 1230.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:04 AM

I drive myself insane.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)