Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Hi! I am new to the group AND Homeschooling ...

Posted by   + Show Post
We live in Louisiana, and I will be Homeschooling my daughter (who is 5), for Kindergarten and although from what I have READ, I don't have to "report anything" until she is 7 years of age (?), I would like to Register her, so the School board knows that she IS being home schooled for the purpose of me being able to hand in (whhatever we are "supposed" to hand in at the end of the school year because I don't even know what it is that they REQUIRE??) to show them or so that THEY mark record that she officially passed Kindergarten.

I went and purchased ALPHA/OMEGA SETS for apparently all our Core Curriculum requires for KINDERGARTEN which is Math and one set for Language Arts. I myself went and purchased two extra workbooks for Science and Reading / Writing because I FEEL those are important (?) along with some "supplies" and a JOURNAL for record keeping.

I have no idea where to go from here, I know that the school year here is 180 days, does that mean I have to school her all 180-days or how many HOURS, can I do like a MON-WED-FRI at certain times (?), how do I even break down my days and hours AND SUBJECTS to be organized enough to say, "OK, it's Tuesday, we need to spend this many hours (?) On this subject (?) so that at the end of these 180-days, we aren't behind??

And THEN i have had 2 people ask me (I had NO idea about this at all?) "Where are you signer her up for her social groups and where are YOU taking her on her required field trips for the year, and are you going to get her into a Gymnastics Class or a Mom and Me Art Class?"

Does anyone know what this is about? We are involved in a social group with kids, do many things with her all of the time, but are these things required and then how do I provide proof to the school board and BEST, what if we don't have the MONEY for all of this?

I had more people ask me "what are the books you are going to get her for the 'Required Readin List' for her to pass?" She's in KINDERGARTEN this year, she is just STARTING to read ... and now my head is spinning because I have her core curriculum here, have no idea how to just break down how many hours in how many days we need to spend for her to pass, WHAT THE SCHOOL BOARD will accept as PROOF she passed or proof that SHE did this work and not ME helping her through something I am not supposed to, HOW TO GRADE the TESTS she takes (is it A, B, C, D or done from 100% and down from there, etc.,) and now I hear about all of this ...

The main problem is I get different information wherever I go, and have no ONE PERSON to give me a straight answer, or just a little "help" for even 10 minutes ... even the school board tell me to go to this link, this link and then they say things like, "you can do it however you'd like Ma'am, there are many ways, thanks for calling!" Well, yes I see that everyone does it different, but I would like just these questions answered, especially how to set up a calendar so we know ahead of time what days /hours need to be spent for this 180-days, what I will have to give the school board to show and have them MARK that she passed and with what certain "Letter Grade", and I guess all of the "EXTRA THINGS" I am hearing?

Gosh, I would give my right arm just to break up each day on a big desk calendar to hang on the wall so DD and i know which days are which subjects (obviously, we can change / move things around, but something to GO by) and THAT ALONE would help me so much ...

And the K Core subjects here are MATH and LANGUAGE ARTS, do they not want these children to learn Social Studies? How this Country was Founded? How the American Flag came to be? The pledge of Allegiance? What about a Map of the Continents, different Countries, how to use a Globe of the World, etc? How about the most important, HOW TO WRITE WORDS / SENTENCES?? I am so lost as to why it is only Math and Language Arts ...?

Thank you SO MUCH in advance for ANY help anyone can give, I am so frustrated and don't want to be a detriment to my Child ...
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Replies (11-12):
LivandSyd
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Ok ... you ALL are wonderful for being polite as well as helping me "breathe" now. I have changed my mind ALREADY from "registering her" now to waiting until we have to at age 7. To be totally honest, I WANT to "Home School" both my Girls (the other is only 3 now) past Kindergarten but Husband is way against it saying that they "NEED the experiences of going to school like every other person has" I agree and disagree with this, however that's another topic in itself.

I am going to "relax" on this and for now, keep a "Journal" of what we're doing, keep the workbooks she uses, write things down, hold onto Receipts and accomplishments from her Gymnastics she wants to do soon and go with and while she learns, I can gain my own knowledge in this area.

Since my Husband works about 24/7, i have been here teaching in fun and "Life Experience", answering EVERY (and there are many, she's ALL questions, LOL!) and she knows her alphabet, the sounds, how to write, she knows all of her "sight words" and then some and can read some books slowly and with help if she gets stuck, can WRITE any word by sounding them out (just stuck in trying to explain how the "vowels" and silent letters, hard and soft sounds and when and why we use them), and has GROWN UP watching ONLY learning programs such as Sesame Street, Dora, ABCMOUSE.COM she uses a lot, Sid the Science kid, Team Oomi-Zoomi which has taugh her so much in shapes and math and this was all in the last year and a half - so we're just moving forward - Now she watches still with these Programs because my younger daughter likes them, the OLDER kid Programs like Dino-Dan, shows teaching about "doing the right thing", knows right from wrong, loves to rhyme and from what all of these Computer Programs and her Leap Pad 2 that she loves to add new games to, she is at a first grade level ... and in Reading, a Second grade. So it was always more about how we prove all of this, spend our "hours" meaning will we have to show that we have spent literally 180-hours on School Work so that at 7, they are going to need to SEE this, or like some of these websites say, scaringly ... "Keep all records and make sure you are up to DATE with where your "hours" are because if the State comes to knock on your door asking for your records, you had better have them and better have proof that if the STATE is on day 80, YOU ARE TOO!" So that always had me panicked.

Not to mention, I will NEVER send her to public schools. Especially down here, they are horrible in scores and MANY OTHER issues -- so I would learn as much as I could so that she could graduate with GOOD ENOUGH GRADES (another reason I would like to know how to grade her, not just for our personal knowledge, but being able to say for her, when her grandparents ask, other ask, "What was your final grade in 2nd Grade??" how do I answer that and make the school accountable for keeping her at that? I think I would like to be able to tell / show certain family / friends who are "doubting" whether or not this HS is hurting / helping her, what her grades were.

In the back of this Education Store I bought her Curriculum at, it shows how to CALCULATE PERCENTAGE GRADES by the number of Questions ... can I just use THESE and then do her "Average" as any teacher in a "school" would do? Is that ok for Kindergarten?

Again, thank you all for being so nice and actually providing links and information, understanding that I just started with this and of course am thinking of her future here and for not just telling me to "relax" and do it however I want as many of these other people at places I have called. I will check back again later for additional posts or suggestions / find out if we are on the right track, etc
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
You can give her grades anyway you want to. Kindergarten teachers do not give percentages in public schools so I would not worry.

Rainbow Resources has tests that you can use to find out how your dd is doing and schools should take those.

Quoting LivandSyd:

Ok ... you ALL are wonderful for being polite as well as helping me "breathe" now. I have changed my mind ALREADY from "registering her" now to waiting until we have to at age 7. To be totally honest, I WANT to "Home School" both my Girls (the other is only 3 now) past Kindergarten but Husband is way against it saying that they "NEED the experiences of going to school like every other person has" I agree and disagree with this, however that's another topic in itself.

I am going to "relax" on this and for now, keep a "Journal" of what we're doing, keep the workbooks she uses, write things down, hold onto Receipts and accomplishments from her Gymnastics she wants to do soon and go with and while she learns, I can gain my own knowledge in this area.

Since my Husband works about 24/7, i have been here teaching in fun and "Life Experience", answering EVERY (and there are many, she's ALL questions, LOL!) and she knows her alphabet, the sounds, how to write, she knows all of her "sight words" and then some and can read some books slowly and with help if she gets stuck, can WRITE any word by sounding them out (just stuck in trying to explain how the "vowels" and silent letters, hard and soft sounds and when and why we use them), and has GROWN UP watching ONLY learning programs such as Sesame Street, Dora, ABCMOUSE.COM she uses a lot, Sid the Science kid, Team Oomi-Zoomi which has taugh her so much in shapes and math and this was all in the last year and a half - so we're just moving forward - Now she watches still with these Programs because my younger daughter likes them, the OLDER kid Programs like Dino-Dan, shows teaching about "doing the right thing", knows right from wrong, loves to rhyme and from what all of these Computer Programs and her Leap Pad 2 that she loves to add new games to, she is at a first grade level ... and in Reading, a Second grade. So it was always more about how we prove all of this, spend our "hours" meaning will we have to show that we have spent literally 180-hours on School Work so that at 7, they are going to need to SEE this, or like some of these websites say, scaringly ... "Keep all records and make sure you are up to DATE with where your "hours" are because if the State comes to knock on your door asking for your records, you had better have them and better have proof that if the STATE is on day 80, YOU ARE TOO!" So that always had me panicked.

Not to mention, I will NEVER send her to public schools. Especially down here, they are horrible in scores and MANY OTHER issues -- so I would learn as much as I could so that she could graduate with GOOD ENOUGH GRADES (another reason I would like to know how to grade her, not just for our personal knowledge, but being able to say for her, when her grandparents ask, other ask, "What was your final grade in 2nd Grade??" how do I answer that and make the school accountable for keeping her at that? I think I would like to be able to tell / show certain family / friends who are "doubting" whether or not this HS is hurting / helping her, what her grades were.

In the back of this Education Store I bought her Curriculum at, it shows how to CALCULATE PERCENTAGE GRADES by the number of Questions ... can I just use THESE and then do her "Average" as any teacher in a "school" would do? Is that ok for Kindergarten?

Again, thank you all for being so nice and actually providing links and information, understanding that I just started with this and of course am thinking of her future here and for not just telling me to "relax" and do it however I want as many of these other people at places I have called. I will check back again later for additional posts or suggestions / find out if we are on the right track, etc
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN