Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you need a teaching degree to HS

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM
  • 30 Replies
1 mom liked this

Poll

Question: Do you need post high school education to HS.

Options:

Yes

No

Purple fuzzy unicorns

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 50

View Results

My family is ALL against me homeschooling they think that since I am slightly learning "differently abled" (I have NF1) That me homeschooling will set my son way back. I explained that I am  teaching the same things as school just he is not in a traditional school.

They cant get it that I am using a programe that I am with a teacher that I am accountable to monthly and weekly. Or that he will go to the homeschool "school" with all the other kids at least once a month. They are "so concered" that my son (going into grade 3) will fail and be behind.

I am so hurt that my own family doesnt have faith in me. Any one else experiance this?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jenn8604
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM
PURPLE FUZZY UNICORNS! WHERE??
No you don't. Graduate hs (high school) yeah, teaching degree no.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wowguildmomma
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:06 PM
1 mom liked this

My family was mega against HS the first year. But the results quickly changed thier minds. I was very offended that they didn't think I could HS the kids without screwing it up. They kept citing how awful my math grades were in school. (Yea due to complications with the teachers i was just passed each year and never really learned any but the most basic math until after meeting DH.) However, it never occured to them that DH and i would both be full into this, DH teaches math and some science and I teach the rest.

As far as dealing with them that year I made it clear that if they couldn't support me then to keep thier opinions to themselves and to withhold judgement until the trial year was up. 

Now except for DH's bio dad's side everyone thinks that HS is the best thing to ever happen to our family.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:08 PM

It depends on your state! In my state (Texas) you don't need any degree not even a high school diploma to homeschool your children. There are other states that say yes you do need one!

oredeb
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:15 PM

you dont even need to graduate highschool to homeschool, in most states. i have friends that didnt and they teach fine!

billiejo79
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM

I know in Nc you only have to have a High school diploma.

romacox
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM

Hang in there girl.  Time will prove them wrong. 

you rock

Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Yes. My family and my husband's and my husband himself were all against homeschooling. I did what I thought was best for our kids. I'm glad I did. My husband is glad too.

oredeb
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:30 PM

ive never had any problem with any of the family or friends with homeschooling, so sorry your going thru that, stick with it, its very worth it in the end(graduation!!)

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:24 PM

Thanks for the repiles I do not have much support but I am sure this is what is good for my son!

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM

If you feel that this is best then that is what you need to do.  I occasionally encounter people who don't really understand what we do.  I have people who think that my children are missing out on things....they aren't by the way.  They are exposed to children that have the same interests as them.  We enjoy doing this and my kids are flourishing.

Quoting Connorsmommy13:

Thanks for the repiles I do not have much support but I am sure this is what is good for my son!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)