Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Do you need a teaching degree to HS

Poll

Question: Do you need post high school education to HS.

Options:

Yes

No

Purple fuzzy unicorns

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 50

View Results

My family is ALL against me homeschooling they think that since I am slightly learning "differently abled" (I have NF1) That me homeschooling will set my son way back. I explained that I am  teaching the same things as school just he is not in a traditional school.

They cant get it that I am using a programe that I am with a teacher that I am accountable to monthly and weekly. Or that he will go to the homeschool "school" with all the other kids at least once a month. They are "so concered" that my son (going into grade 3) will fail and be behind.

I am so hurt that my own family doesnt have faith in me. Any one else experiance this?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Replies (21-30):
Mommynay2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I think it all depends on the state, but in my state, Rhode Island you don't need one.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:32 PM
Ummmm ..... Pardon me but NO!!! Excluding what the state says are required, you do not need a degree to teach/educate your own child. Period. Let me be a little more succinct in my opinion.... Aren't you the one who has taught your child how to sit , hold things, make sounds, crawl, stand, smile big, brush teeth, talk, get dressed, be polite, pick up toys, learn how to listen and the list goes on. YOU have been there as your child's teach from the very beginning. If your IQ were such a big deal for your family, ask them why they thought you could have children in the first place. If you are capable of lab outing for 9 long months, then you are capable of doing this ! You have more resources to help you teach if you need help on any subject. You have the local library, you have the Internet, you have used book stores, you have the supplies at your local supermarkets/grocery stores. You have US!
You should explain to your family that you are going to do this with or without them but that you would like them to be apart of this experience , if they promise to at least stop being so negative around you and your family so that you can do the best possible job educating your child. You CAN do this. You just need to believe it and have the faith in yourself. :)
MessedUpMama
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:00 PM

I agree with everyone else, no you don't need a teaching degree to homeschool. You have been teaching your child/ren since the day they were born. You can teach them now too.

I really don't think that having a teaching degree would help very much anyway. You don't need to have specialized education to teach someone to read, write, and do math at an elementary school levels. For the higher grades you might need to find more specialized books, or even a tutor, for some subjects. But you can still teach those subjects, even if you have to learn it right along with your child.

I have an AA in special education, nearly half of the classes we took were on class management and not how to teach anyting. The other classes were about theorys of education, technology in the classroom, and evaluation techniques. I can't recall anything at all about how to teach. Those classes might be taught later in a teaching degree though. I've found that almost nothing I learned in college is useful for homeschooling. I only have 2 kids to teach, one is starting first grade this year and the other is going into fourth grade, so class management isn't important. You can find out about the different learning styles online and work out a way to teach your child based on how they learn best.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Because you dropped out in grade 3 right!?!?!

people kill me.

A teaching degree does not mean you should teach or are equipped to teach just any kid on the street. I have met teachers that should not be teaching puppies to not pee on rugs much less teach kids.

wolfybaby
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:57 PM

how can you be less qualified to teach your child if you are using the same exact material as the school? you can answer questions, you can get extra help, just like teachers at a school. and i bet you will be even more hands-on. teachers at school throw work packets at children and sit at their desks and read. its a terrible place to learn. i am homeschooling my daughter. i feel pretty capable teaching kindergarten and even up through 6th grade.

but! i personally do not feel qualified to teach junior high +, which is why i am going to put my daughter in "regular" school once her educational needs surpasses my ability to teach her properly. 

Connorsmommy13
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Quoting wolfybaby:

how can you be less qualified to teach your child if you are using the same exact material as the school? you can answer questions, you can get extra help, just like teachers at a school. and i bet you will be even more hands-on. teachers at school throw work packets at children and sit at their desks and read. its a terrible place to learn. i am homeschooling my daughter. i feel pretty capable teaching kindergarten and even up through 6th grade.

but! i personally do not feel qualified to teach junior high +, which is why i am going to put my daughter in "regular" school once her educational needs surpasses my ability to teach her properly. 

That is my plan too...just frustrated with my family...no support...

LoriAlane8
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Don't worry about it. As long as you have a good program and curriculum you are going to do great. Prove them wrong! :)

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Most homeschoolers do NOT use the same material as the schools... barring the virtual public school families...

Quoting wolfybaby:

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

Pukalani79
by Kristin on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Quoting romacox:

Hang in there girl.  Time will prove them wrong. 

you rock

Christie1952
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM

We had people who thought we were nuts! Do not let them stop you! Our three are all very successful adults.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)