Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

The Dreaded Lesson

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:15 PM
  • 18 Replies
What is that one lesson that you just are not looking forward to teaching? Are there any subjects you just will not teach?

Why?

undefined

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:54 PM

My kids started when they were in 4th and 6th grades. I didn't think it was the best plan to teach them as if they were in school but rather to facilitate them in learning how to learn. I would go over any lesson with them at any time but if they could do it own their own or be taught how that was better, IMO.

I absolutely hated grading though. When I had to grade. The worse things for me were Latin and upper math. I also had them to lab sciences at a local science museum because I didn't want to deal with the labs myself.

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:16 PM

How to drive! That is Hubby's class! I won't teach it! I had to teach myself how to do it because everyone that tried to teach me just made me more nervous & self conscious about it!

hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I struggle with teaching science, too. I just am not a real scientific person by nature, and I'm not too confident in my abilities to teach it. I am sure I'll feel the same about math in a few years when they are into more complicated stuff, too. We may have to outsource that. ;)

kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Writing and grammar, I can't stand it as much as my son can't.  It is going to be a PITA! 

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:29 AM
I hate history, so we use the American girl series, and the magic treehouse series.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bleacheddecay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM

OMG, that WAS the worst. It has ruined me. I'm now very uncomfortable with anyone driving. LOL

Quoting usmom3:

How to drive! That is Hubby's class! I won't teach it! I had to teach myself how to do it because everyone that tried to teach me just made me more nervous & self conscious about it!

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Honestly I can't think of anything.  I love teaching my kids everything that I know and then some.  I guess  if there is one thing I dread teaching them it is cooking.  I hate cooking.  Although their enthusiasm usually wins me over .  No matter how much I dislike cooking we usually have a great time together.  

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Haha, this is probably me too! Dd loves to cook but I get frustrated that she doesn't get it and it takes forever, but she wants to learn so I plan to add that in for her one night a week. DS hates cooking and says his wife will do it (which is hilarious bc DH cooks way more often than I do, lol), but I think he will also get one night a week to plan and make a meal, he's getting old enough.

But I hate cooking. Especially because we live with my mil so I feel like its not my kitchen :/

Quoting jen2150:

Honestly I can't think of anything.  I love teaching my kids everything that I know and then some.  I guess  if there is one thing I dread teaching them it is cooking.  I hate cooking.  Although their enthusiasm usually wins me over .  No matter how much I dislike cooking we usually have a great time together.  

almondpigeon
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:27 AM

science.  we buy complete curriculum from timberdoodle and the kit doesn't come with a comprehensive science lesson.  i usually wing it and use things i find online, but i'm always worried that i'm missing something.  it's not difficult to teach, it's just difficult for me to figure out what to teach.

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate writing and grammar, which is weird, because I love every other aspect of Language Arts. But teaching writing and grammar just does not come easy to me.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN