Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are your kids *behind* in Math?

Posted by   + Show Post

What about Reading?

Science?

*By behind, I mean, according to public school standards*

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
Knightquester
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:40 AM

None of them are behind, but I am considering on going slower in math with my eldest.  She's the only one that struggles in math and has recently hit higher level math.  I would like her to take her time and not be afraid of math, but I am still on the fence about what math curriculum to go with.  I recently have been debating on teaching textbooks, but I don't know if they are any good (it's review reading time).

TJandKarasMom
by Debbie on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this
My son-6th grader has always been ahead in ps, especially in math. His standardized test scores are kind of ridiculous and the school will miss him ;). He is starting pre algebra this year and I'm pretty sure he will finish it before the school year ends. He loves science and he's a quick reader and has high comprehension and vocab skills. He has never had to work hard or study, so this year is going to be tough on him when he starts having to really think about things and produce his best work for me.

My daughter-5th grader has worked VERY hard to stay "on level". My personal opinion is she is behind in math and barely on level for reading-but ps pushed her ahead and marks her as on level for everything. She doesn't grasp science concepts, but I am confident all of this will improve this year and she will be at grade level or slightly above. She just needs more processing time and to have someone be able to answer her questions, which she doesn't get in ps but will be easy to give her at home.

I'm really not worried about ps standards anymore, since they don't have to take standardized tests anymore or anything, I am looking forward to them learning and being challenged, while also enjoying learning. I won't care about them being "on level" anymore.
BrittO2
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Ds is just leaving public school. His teachers claimed he was falling behind in reading and writing, but he does really well in these areas since being home. I would say he is on grade level for all subjects, maybe a little ahead in science.

DD is doing 1st grade math but we are still working on reading and writing. She is only 4 so she has plenty of time. 

mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Honestly, with reading and writing, I really think interest in what they are supposed to be reading make a huge difference in how will they do it, you know?

Quoting BrittO2:

Ds is just leaving public school. His teachers claimed he was falling behind in reading and writing, but he does really well in these areas since being home. I would say he is on grade level for all subjects, maybe a little ahead in science.

DD is doing 1st grade math but we are still working on reading and writing. She is only 4 so she has plenty of time. 

BrittO2
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM

DS shuts down when surrounded by groups of people. He will either curl up and cry, become violent, or start going around the room trying to find a way to isolate himself. Brick and mortar schools are just a horrible fit for him and he was unable to complete a full day of school without issues in the the 2 years he attended. He is very intelligent and scored very well on all the test the school gave him trying to figure out what was "wrong" with him. 

Quoting mem82:

Honestly, with reading and writing, I really think interest in what they are supposed to be reading make a huge difference in how will they do it, you know?

Quoting BrittO2:

KenneMaw
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I am not a homeschooling mom, but in GA there is alot of focus on writing from a very early age.   Starting very young, they learn how informative and persuative writing styles, plus so much more.   Several of my homeschool mom friends didn't know this and their upper elementary-age kids hadn't done any serious writing lessons.   Once they realized that was a big focus, they found lessons to help their kids.  

oredeb
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

hahah i have no idea what public school standards are,(and i dont care)

but the kids are right where they are suppose to be in reading, science, math, and all the rest!

Leissaintexas
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:55 PM

I honestly have no idea. I do not have a clue where they are at compared to public school. They've never taken a test, and I have never looked at our public schools guidelines.  The other day when I mentioned that my 10 yr old was struggling with fractions, a mom sounded surprised that we were even working on them. I don't really know what that means, though.

gratefulgal
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Which curriculum were you using?

Quoting coala:

No.  They are actually ahead.  LOL  At the end of first grade our curriculum was starting into multiplication, and they don't start that locally until late 2nd grade.  My upcoming 1st grader was doing 1st grade level math before she started her K curriculum (This one is advanced in just about every area academically).

oahoah
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

My oldest just finished 2nd grade but not math yet; he excels in science, reading & history though. Our 2nd DS is ahead in all subjects but his writing skills are weak.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN