Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are your kids *behind* in Math?

Posted by   + Show Post

What about Reading?

Science?

*By behind, I mean, according to public school standards*

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Replies (21-30):
coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM

We are using ABeka.

Quoting gratefulgal:

Which curriculum were you using?

Quoting coala:

No.  They are actually ahead.  LOL  At the end of first grade our curriculum was starting into multiplication, and they don't start that locally until late 2nd grade.  My upcoming 1st grader was doing 1st grade level math before she started her K curriculum (This one is advanced in just about every area academically).

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Right on track with math, ahead in reading.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:40 PM

We found this to be true with our oldest.  When we got custody of her she wasn't even going to pass K in public school.  I knew that was BS b/c she was on target or slightly ahead when we had custody and she was being HS, it was taken from us and she started to fail.  We got her back and let her find what she is interested in and she is doing amazingly well.  She has been with us for 15 mos and is finally on grade level with her reading and comprehension.

Quoting mem82:

Honestly, with reading and writing, I really think interest in what they are supposed to be reading make a huge difference in how will they do it, you know?

Quoting BrittO2:

Ds is just leaving public school. His teachers claimed he was falling behind in reading and writing, but he does really well in these areas since being home. I would say he is on grade level for all subjects, maybe a little ahead in science.

DD is doing 1st grade math but we are still working on reading and writing. She is only 4 so she has plenty of time. 

coala
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM

I am surprised at her being surprised.  My kids started on fractions in K.  They go a little more in depth in 1st grade and start adding them....but they are adding the 1/2 to 1/2 and so forth.  They haven't started to add different fractions to each other.  I can't wait to see what they have in store for them in 2nd grade.  LOL

Quoting Leissaintexas:

I honestly have no idea. I do not have a clue where they are at compared to public school. They've never taken a test, and I have never looked at our public schools guidelines.  The other day when I mentioned that my 10 yr old was struggling with fractions, a mom sounded surprised that we were even working on them. I don't really know what that means, though.

misselphaba
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:53 PM

I'm not *entirely* sure because they've never been tested or compared to public schoolers, but...

Math ~ maybe.  BUT, we unschooled my son until he was 9.  Just no reason to "do school".  Now, he wants to do school, so he's flying through Math-U-See like crazy.  He will be ahead pretty soon, I think.  

My daughter is dyslexic and we are working on her reading more than her math, so she is 'behind', but has figured out how to add, subtract, and divide on her own, so we aren't very worried about her.  lol 

Reading ~ my son reads at a college end of sophomore level for fluency and college end of freshman year for comprehension.  He is 9.  Not worried about his reading at all.  lol 

My daughter has language processing issues, so she is behind, but we are working really hard with her to get her reading, so...she is 7.  

Science ~ I think so sometimes, but then they will blow me out of the water with something they know.  Same with history.  They amaze me with what they've picked up.

twyliatepeka
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:45 PM

nope. mine is right on track for her age group. I wish she were a little more ahead though.

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 10:34 PM
2 moms liked this

They are behind in all the ways that do not matter and they are ahead in all the ways that truly matter.

LostTheSlipper
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:53 AM

No. Way ahead actually.

Walnutgrovefarm
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:00 AM

I try to look at the difference between both schooling styles. HS'ing is learning so many different ways of a subject. Using it in every day life not just memorizing for a test. I do not compare my child to public school, because they are taught differently and at different levels.

elizabooks
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:13 PM
History so far. but she isn't five yet so i think she should have some leeway about not knowing about human history. we have been talking/ reading about the North men due to our religious instruction, but she is much more interested in merrkats and mongoose.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)