Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are your kids *behind* in Math?

Posted by   + Show Post

What about Reading?

Science?

*By behind, I mean, according to public school standards*

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Replies (31-40):
AJ-47
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:17 PM
No. My Son is at a second to third grade level in most subjects, and reads at about a third grade level.
Tal0n
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Yes, in math, according to public school.  But since she's at or well above in everything else I don't sweat it.

And she's barreling through pretty quickly now that she's focused on it.

Bleacher-mom
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Yes and no. Not in math or english, but in science and history. It is because when we don't touch on everything in one year, then every year after. Like right now, we have been studying space for a while and my kids have learned more than kids older than them, but we haven't gotten into any form of chemisty or physics. As far as reading, they are behind for a few years because I push more phonics than just learning sight words. So at first they are not as good of readers as public school, until about the 2nd grade, but once all of the phonics starts clicking in their head, they jump past public school kids in reading.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:26 PM
Not if we go by ps standards. But, by my standards, yes and no.
penguingirl
by New Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:29 PM

My dd goes to public school for art, music and computers but is homeschooled for the rest. Since our start requires some type of assessment at the end of the year I allowed the school to do the first grade assessment with her. They said she barely reads at a first grade level. This is because she doesn't feel comfortable reading out loud, especially with strangers. She had no problem recognizing individual words when reading from a word list. They also said she had trouble with reading comprehension because her answers weren't detailed enough. My dd said it was because the story she had to read was boring. They also said she couldn't describe a book she read recently. My dd said it was because they asked about her favorite book and she doesn't have a favorite. Her writing also didn't meet first grade standards because she insists on using all capitals even thought she knows lowercase. 
Then I was told she didn't meet first grade math because she doesn't understand equals. The problems they gave her were more like algebra:  5 + 2 = ? + 3 which she would answer 7 then add 3 to get 10. I haven't come across these types of problems in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd grade workbooks we have done. They also didn't like the fact that she relies on using her fingers to add too often. Therefore, I am having her assessed by an individual that is qualified to do state assessments and was recommended by a friend who also hs.

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM

What level are using for Singapore? Also, did you get the home instructors guide? 

Singapore is a much different approach than American math programs. American math programs almost always follow a drill and kill - memorization method. Singapore requires a child to think about the math - to be able manipulate and creatively see and play with math concepts. They have additional workbooks to address other issues - like if your kids need more drill practice, or mental math, word problems, etc. 

The home instruction guide will give interesting hands on activities to help cement concepts learned that day. 

I favor the Singapore US edition text/workbooks and the 3rd edition home instructors guide. I do not ONLY use Singapore as our math. I add in games, misc math activity books that I find, math inspired projects, interactive math journals... 

Quoting Precious333:

I dont know, but yesterday i was.rethinking the curriculum we are using for math. We are using singapore, and my son was very frustrated.

"Wouldnt it be nice if we lived in a world where Zimmerman offered Trayvon a ride home to get him out of the rain that night." 

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:50 AM

My kids are advanced in Math. My kids were labeled as behind in public - but when independently tested, scored on par with their grade/age level.  

"Wouldnt it be nice if we lived in a world where Zimmerman offered Trayvon a ride home to get him out of the rain that night." 

lucsch
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:30 AM

No.

lucsch
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Being TAUGHT and LEARNING are two different concepts. I think it is a waste of time to teach writing before a child can read and spell well. Sure, it looks good on paper, but it doesn't guarantee good writers. There are many moms, myself included, who PURPOSELY delay teaching these skills...until they feel their child can actually master them in a useful way. Just curious---why are you hanging out in a homeschooling group?
Quoting KenneMaw:

I am not a homeschooling mom, but in GA there is alot of focus on writing from a very early age.   Starting very young, they learn how informative and persuative writing styles, plus so much more.   Several of my homeschool mom friends didn't know this and their upper elementary-age kids hadn't done any serious writing lessons.   Once they realized that was a big focus, they found lessons to help their kids.  

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:36 AM

I guess in math, technically yes... We use Math U See. So while she is advanced in what she can do with multiplication, she can't do division like the rest of the kids in her grade...or fractions...or decimals... We'll get there and have it mastered and she'll be "caught up" in no time lol.

With Reading and Writing. Absolutely. She struggles with it, but she been seeing an occupational therapist so we can get ideas on how to help her. So far it has been kind of working...I think... Its honestly hard to tell at the moment. I think we might be to the point where we'll "catch up" at the end of this year, and I purposefully and painstakeningly found curriculum that was for struggling writers, and one that fit with her reading.

For Science...I don't know... We didn't do anything in science that was similar to the public schools. Same with History/social studies for that matter. If anything I think we're way ahead in Science, especially since we don't go over the same dang 3 subjects every single year since Kindergarten. (I'm sorry, but there is only so many ways I can keep my sanity going over animal kingdoms and habitats and environments and volcanoes and clouds....and nothing else...)  I don't even know how to gauge History/Social Studies lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)