Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are your kids *behind* in Math?

Posted by   + Show Post

What about Reading?

Science?

*By behind, I mean, according to public school standards*

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Replies (41-50):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Very well put!

Quoting lucsch:

Being TAUGHT and LEARNING are two different concepts. I think it is a waste of time to teach writing before a child can read and spell well. Sure, it looks good on paper, but it doesn't guarantee good writers. There are many moms, myself included, who PURPOSELY delay teaching these skills...until they feel their child can actually master them in a useful way. Just curious---why are you hanging out in a homeschooling group?
Quoting KenneMaw:

I am not a homeschooling mom, but in GA there is alot of focus on writing from a very early age.   Starting very young, they learn how informative and persuative writing styles, plus so much more.   Several of my homeschool mom friends didn't know this and their upper elementary-age kids hadn't done any serious writing lessons.   Once they realized that was a big focus, they found lessons to help their kids.  

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:32 AM
We are finishinf 1A. I have the instructional.guide and workbook. I also use games as well. I think our issue was two fold. First, we had taken a break from it and all math. Two, i didnr use the guide this last time because it was reveiw, but probably should hace refreshed him memory with it. We are going to continue with it.

Quoting celticdragon77:

What level are using for Singapore? Also, did you get the home instructors guide? 

Singapore is a much different approach than American math programs. American math programs almost always follow a drill and kill - memorization method. Singapore requires a child to think about the math - to be able manipulate and creatively see and play with math concepts. They have additional workbooks to address other issues - like if your kids need more drill practice, or mental math, word problems, etc. 

The home instruction guide will give interesting hands on activities to help cement concepts learned that day. 

I favor the Singapore US edition text/workbooks and the 3rd edition home instructors guide. I do not ONLY use Singapore as our math. I add in games, misc math activity books that I find, math inspired projects, interactive math journals... 

Quoting Precious333:

I dont know, but yesterday i was.rethinking the curriculum we are using for math. We are using singapore, and my son was very frustrated.

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:40 AM

What exactly was the trouble? - if you don't mind me asking. 

Quoting Precious333:

We are finishinf 1A. I have the instructional.guide and workbook. I also use games as well. I think our issue was two fold. First, we had taken a break from it and all math. Two, i didnr use the guide this last time because it was reveiw, but probably should hace refreshed him memory with it. We are going to continue with it.

Quoting celticdragon77:

What level are using for Singapore? Also, did you get the home instructors guide? 

Singapore is a much different approach than American math programs. American math programs almost always follow a drill and kill - memorization method. Singapore requires a child to think about the math - to be able manipulate and creatively see and play with math concepts. They have additional workbooks to address other issues - like if your kids need more drill practice, or mental math, word problems, etc. 

The home instruction guide will give interesting hands on activities to help cement concepts learned that day. 

I favor the Singapore US edition text/workbooks and the 3rd edition home instructors guide. I do not ONLY use Singapore as our math. I add in games, misc math activity books that I find, math inspired projects, interactive math journals... 

Quoting Precious333:

I dont know, but yesterday i was.rethinking the curriculum we are using for math. We are using singapore, and my son was very frustrated.

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Sure! He was given the numbers 3, 4, 7 and i asked him how these numbers related.to eachother. Then we got into the discussion on what related means. I told him it means how they are connected. How do we connect those numbers. Then i.got out his counting bears, 7 yellow, 4 green and 3 purple. I gave him time to figure our how those bears related to eachother. Before that he had an equation that had something like 10=4+? So i got a pencil for tge equal sign and had 10 bears on one side and 4 on the other and asked him how many more bears do we need to make both sides tye same/equal. So i asked him to do the same with the bears for those three numbers. Then i got all those numbers and wrote them on a seperate paper in different orders with an.equal.sign and he had to write + or - it helped eventually, but at first he didnt want to think through it, he wanted tge answer, so he had a few meltdowns were he ran unto the bedroom and pouted.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting Precious333:

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Oh wow. Asking a 1st grader how 3, 4, and 7 relate to each other seems complex. As does the 10=4+? However, you seem to have done well in handling it. 

I have to be honest, I didn't use Singapore as my introduction to math - for ANY of my kids. I used Montessori methods. Only later did I go into Singapore. I have used 2B all the way up to 6th grade.

IF you can swing it, I would HIGHLY recommend looking into Montessori math - choosing to either use Singapore alongside of it or holding off till later. There are FANTASTIC youtube videos! 

There is Math In Focus that is a newer Singapore approach that many schools and homeschoolers are raving about - but it costs more and I personally don't prefer it over the Primary Mathematics Singapore. 

Quoting Precious333:

Sure! He was given the numbers 3, 4, 7 and i asked him how these numbers related.to eachother. Then we got into the discussion on what related means. I told him it means how they are connected. How do we connect those numbers. Then i.got out his counting bears, 7 yellow, 4 green and 3 purple. I gave him time to figure our how those bears related to eachother. Before that he had an equation that had something like 10=4+? So i got a pencil for tge equal sign and had 10 bears on one side and 4 on the other and asked him how many more bears do we need to make both sides tye same/equal. So i asked him to do the same with the bears for those three numbers. Then i got all those numbers and wrote them on a seperate paper in different orders with an.equal.sign and he had to write + or - it helped eventually, but at first he didnt want to think through it, he wanted tge answer, so he had a few meltdowns were he ran unto the bedroom and pouted.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting Precious333:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Quoting Precious333:

tattooEdgy Homeschool Moms

Precious333
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:51 AM
Wow! No wonder he was frustrated! I think i will continue to take it slowly and use it as an.introduction alongside out math games etc. Hes almost done with 1A, i was going to get 1B too, but probably wont start it until half way through the year. Now i.wonder what i should do with my 5 year old. Maybe just play with objects, chalk and practice writing numbers?
bether89
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Ds took the CAT test at the end of the year and he is not behind in any subject.

Mommy2Phenley
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2013 at 9:59 PM
No, I think she's ahead. I'm not positive of the s&s of local public schools, though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dschoengarth
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I have been through all of these feelings. You really need to visit: www.math-games-and-activites.com- click on your child's grade level and work through the skills with simple games - most of them you can do in the car. Not, only will you build the specific skills your child needs to be sucessful in these programs you will teach them to love math! This week...everytime we get in the car we count by 9's (because it is Septeeber the 9th month- and we use a song to do it)

KrissyKC
by Silver Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Not my eldest.   She is a mathematic whiz.

My second is pretty strong in math, but we moved backward when we switched to Math U See because it's mastery based instead of grade level based.   We put him back in Gamma (multiplication) not because he doesn't grasp multiplication, but because the Gamma level teaches things along WITH the multiplication that he wouldn't get otherwise.   However, I still don't think he's behind, because he's doing whole week to two week long lessons in one day... at this pace, I will be moving him up in a few months anyway.

My kindy???  Yes, I'm starting to see she's having some real challenges with numbers.   She's smart, and can figure out putting together small groups, patterns, shapes, taking away one, etc...   but she acts like I'm speaking another language when it comes to numbers sometimes.   It's going to be really slow going with her for a bit.   We will see how it comes out, though because she's still pretty young.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)