Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Are your kids *behind* in Math?

Posted by   + Show Post

What about Reading?

Science?

*By behind, I mean, according to public school standards*

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Replies (51-60):
bluerooffarm
by Gold Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Nope, ahead in math and science.  Now history is a tough one.  Our local PS does history as:  K-1st they sporadically cover a bit of American history like native Americans at Thanksgiving, Columbus on Columbus Day ETC.  Then in 2nd and 3rd they cover Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, Rome, The Yellow River settlements in China and the Indus Valley in India.  Then 4th and 5th cover American history to the Civil War.  In 6th they do Pennsylvania history and government.  I disagree with this crazy jumping around, so we started right out with early Civ and we have actually covered the Mideival times, Charlamagne, and the Vikings.  We'll soon reach America and cover it right in the timeline (where it belongs IMO).  So I have no idea how anyone can determine who is ahead or behind in history, KWIM?

LostTheSlipper
by Bronze Member on Sep. 5, 2013 at 4:17 PM

Heck no. He's 10. Doing Algebra 1.

History he's probably about where he should be - probably with more US history than most PS kids his age have.

Science - Depends. He took a test that included science and was like, "I didn't LEARN some of this stuff!" Basic stuff, but they weren't things we had covered yet. because it was based on PS science and when they cover it, obviously. HOWEVER, there are things about chemistry and physics and anatomy he knows that most his age wouldn't in PS, and of course, stuff like that isn't on the test for his grade/age level.

lovelylady83
by on Sep. 5, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Go to this site and register for the virtual sample as a (homeschool teacher I think is how I did it) ... Instantly you will have access to ALL the books on all grade levels and its free... It is basically an easier to understand singapore math... with great teachers guides etc... There is a  transitions guide to help transition from other math programs... this may help...

Quoting Precious333:

Singapore helps them think.of numbers in different ways, it has a lot of.pictures as.well, and i believe it spirals a bit too (we just started it). My son is going on to second grade, and we didnt do many workbooks in the past.

Quoting mem82:

How does Singapore work?

Quoting Precious333:

I dont know, but yesterday i was.rethinking the curriculum we are using for math. We are using singapore, and my son was very frustrated.

almondpigeon
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:12 AM

they're both doing really well in math.   i'm using a bought curriculum, but i do supplement with my own worksheets because they seem to grasp the concepts and they both seem ready to do more.

my 2nd grader, though, is behind in reading.  she really struggles with it.

Mandallyn
by Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM

No.  They're ahead in everything.

.Lvmybabies.
by on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:25 AM
What's the website?

Quoting lovelylady83:

Go to this site and register for the virtual sample as a (homeschool teacher I think is how I did it) ... Instantly you will have access to ALL the books on all grade levels and its free... It is basically an easier to understand singapore math... with great teachers guides etc... There is a  transitions guide to help transition from other math programs... this may help...

Quoting Precious333:

Singapore helps them think.of numbers in different ways, it has a lot of.pictures as.well, and i believe it spirals a bit too (we just started it). My son is going on to second grade, and we didnt do many workbooks in the past.

Quoting mem82:

How does Singapore work?

Quoting Precious333:

I dont know, but yesterday i was.rethinking the curriculum we are using for math. We are using singapore, and my son was very frustrated.

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:42 AM

Absoutely he is. Now according to our standards? He's right on track :-)

paganbaby
by Silver Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Right? I'm not sure how you can be ahead or behind in history and science. We learn both, just not at the same time PS is teaching it.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Nope, ahead in math and science.  Now history is a tough one.  Our local PS does history as:  K-1st they sporadically cover a bit of American history like native Americans at Thanksgiving, Columbus on Columbus Day ETC.  Then in 2nd and 3rd they cover Mesopotamia, Egypt, Greece, Rome, The Yellow River settlements in China and the Indus Valley in India.  Then 4th and 5th cover American history to the Civil War.  In 6th they do Pennsylvania history and government.  I disagree with this crazy jumping around, so we started right out with early Civ and we have actually covered the Mideival times, Charlamagne, and the Vikings.  We'll soon reach America and cover it right in the timeline (where it belongs IMO).  So I have no idea how anyone can determine who is ahead or behind in history, KWIM?

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

melindabelcher
by Mel on Sep. 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I'm going to guess No. marcus is almost a full year ahead in most subjects, but I haven't really stopped and compaired curriculums.
Chasing3
by Bronze Member on Sep. 6, 2013 at 1:35 PM

math, yes

reading and science, no

I went with Math In Focus (SIngapore) and bought a half-a-year below grade level to start. So far, we're only in one chapter (second semester, grade 3, chapter10: money) and it's pretty much a review of adding and subtracting. The books and teacher's guide are beautiful. I read rave reviews of the teacher's book before I bought it. I haven't followed the script in there so far for the first chapter we're doing. Some of the grouping and mental math in this first chapter is too hard for my ds. He's still adding and subtracting with borrowing or carrying - which is fine with me. If he's like me, he'll never be a wiz at mentla math anyway.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)