Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Board gaming as an educational resource. (Lots of pics)

Posted by   + Show Post

Our family is HUGE on board gaming.  It is a part of our daily lives.  We started gaming in May and my husband and myself have over 120 game plays since then so far!  Our daughter also loves to play.  We started her off with Catan: Junior.  At first it was difficult for her to think about her moves ahead of time and grasp how she should play (she knew what to do but not how the best way to go about doing it was).  Since then her gaming background has grown.  Along with this her critical thinking and problem solving skills grew a LOT.  

What does she play? Olivia plays: Catan: Junior, Lord of the Ring (kids version by eagle games), Sleeping Queens, Carcassonne, Enchanted Forest, Hey! That's my fish, Snail pace race, Agricola (which is not a kid game), King of Tokyo, Ticket to Ride, Castle Panic, Forbidden Island, Dungeon!, and more I can't think of now.  She also loves trying to learn to play chess on her nook.  

We don't play your typical commercial board games (no monopoly, sorry, or trouble).  We like to play strategy games that make you think and plan ahead.  I plan on incorperating board gaming into our daughter's education and using it as an alternate educational resource. 

I just thought I would share if anyone was interested in game suggestions for kids let me know!  

Oh and on another note, I don't pay much attention to "manufacture suggested age" for the games.  Some of the games Our 4 1/2 year old plays are rated for 10 and up and she understands to play them just fine.  Sleeping Queens for example is rated for 8 and up but it is a SUPER easy card game to play for kids (even adults too). 

Catan: Junior

Carcassonne the Discovery (below)

Forbidden Island (below)

Agricola (below)

Dungeon!

And....King of Tokyo :) 

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Replies (21-30):
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM

It's hard for us to play board games because of the wide range of kids we have. The littles don't have the patience or ability to play but they want to play. IT just gets messy.

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:33 PM
I think this is an awesome plan/idea!
kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:35 PM
Oh, and the pics are fantastic too! She is so adorable. :)
armygirl16
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:41 PM
I love dominion! I'm bidding on it in an auction on board game geek right now lol. My husband and I have a lot of games that we play without her too (lords of waterdeep, seasons, quarriors, race for the galaxy...etc)

Quoting Knightquester:

You guys should try Dominion, it's pretty cool.  Killer Bunnies is fun too.  We pretty much have all the games you guys have and all of us enjoy strategy games a lot too.

rhiannonaisling
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Any suggestions for a nonverbal, non-reading (yet, but he is making progress) 10 year old and his nuerotypical sibs (12 yo boy and 14 yo girl) to play together?

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:58 PM
That is so cool!...
armygirl16
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Ticket to ride would be good you are just matching like-colored train cards to create routs across a map.
Settlers of Catan doesn't require any reading.
Carcassonne does not require reading at all either.
Agricola doesn't require reading if you play the family version.

Co-op games could be good too such as Mice and mystics, castle panic, elder sign or forbidden island because there is minimal reading involved and you are helping eachother out to win the game so others could do the reading.

Quoting rhiannonaisling:

Any suggestions for a nonverbal, non-reading (yet, but he is making progress) 10 year old and his nuerotypical sibs (12 yo boy and 14 yo girl) to play together?

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:25 PM

I will definately check out the games.  My youngest loves playing games.  My youngest is teaching me to play chess.  I bought the no stress chess board game.  It is so much fun.  Chess is really great for logic and startergy.  I have read it is very good for math developement.  Playing and games is how children are built to learn.

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:36 AM

I LOVE games for the kids!!! Like you, I avoid the typical commercial games. I am curious where you bought these games from though - I have never seen them anywhere! And I have even shopped at sites where people made homemade board games. 

"Wouldnt it be nice if we lived in a world where Zimmerman offered Trayvon a ride home to get him out of the rain that night." 

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:46 AM

I ended up joining game board geek (.com) because all these games were listed there - and more. I really liked some of the games that I found while browsing the site. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)