Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Board gaming as an educational resource. (Lots of pics)

Posted by   + Show Post

Our family is HUGE on board gaming.  It is a part of our daily lives.  We started gaming in May and my husband and myself have over 120 game plays since then so far!  Our daughter also loves to play.  We started her off with Catan: Junior.  At first it was difficult for her to think about her moves ahead of time and grasp how she should play (she knew what to do but not how the best way to go about doing it was).  Since then her gaming background has grown.  Along with this her critical thinking and problem solving skills grew a LOT.  

What does she play? Olivia plays: Catan: Junior, Lord of the Ring (kids version by eagle games), Sleeping Queens, Carcassonne, Enchanted Forest, Hey! That's my fish, Snail pace race, Agricola (which is not a kid game), King of Tokyo, Ticket to Ride, Castle Panic, Forbidden Island, Dungeon!, and more I can't think of now.  She also loves trying to learn to play chess on her nook.  

We don't play your typical commercial board games (no monopoly, sorry, or trouble).  We like to play strategy games that make you think and plan ahead.  I plan on incorperating board gaming into our daughter's education and using it as an alternate educational resource. 

I just thought I would share if anyone was interested in game suggestions for kids let me know!  

Oh and on another note, I don't pay much attention to "manufacture suggested age" for the games.  Some of the games Our 4 1/2 year old plays are rated for 10 and up and she understands to play them just fine.  Sleeping Queens for example is rated for 8 and up but it is a SUPER easy card game to play for kids (even adults too). 

Catan: Junior

Carcassonne the Discovery (below)

Forbidden Island (below)

Agricola (below)

Dungeon!

And....King of Tokyo :) 

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Replies (31-40):
armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:00 AM
I live in portland Oregon and we have several (more than the average big city) board game stores here. One of the stores we go to offers board game rentals (which is awesome). You can actually buy pretty much any game on amazon (you usually have to know what you are looking for though). And yeah, we don't even own candy land or chutes and ladders (those games are soooo boring to me). We do have boggle junior and operation and monopoly jr, that I bought before discovering all the amazing games out there.

Quoting celticdragon77:

I LOVE games for the kids!!! Like you, I avoid the typical commercial games. I am curious where you bought these games from though - I have never seen them anywhere! And I have even shopped at sites where people made homemade board games. 

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Oh yeah, I LOVE board game geek. I have found suggestions for so many games in that site. In the forums the "general gaming" section gets the most traffic. Oh and if you have a specific question you can type it into google and just type BGG after and it will find you a similar post about that on that site. For example you could ask "what is a good game to play with a 5 year old bgg".

Quoting celticdragon77:

I ended up joining game board geek (.com) because all these games were listed there - and more. I really liked some of the games that I found while browsing the site. 

KLove_Mom
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Thanks... we have been looking for bigger kid strategy games now that our twins are turning 5. We love to play Settlers of Catan ourselves, so I think we'll be getting the Jr version too.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:54 AM
I am not sure what a euro game is, so I will google :)

Quoting armygirl16:

Have you ever tried any "euro games" or just standards like monopoly, life, sorry...etc? After my husband and I started gaming (with the non standard games) he said he would never play monopoly or life again lol. There is a lot more out there than your standard roll and move "race to the finish" type games.

Quoting Boobah:

I love it! I want to like board games, but I just can't make myself. I never have liked them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:59 AM

You should look into Talisman. My Annie began playing it with us when she was 6 and loves it. We are also big into games including Catan, Munchkin, Dungeon, Magick, and many role playing games.

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM
Catania: junior plays a LOT like settlers of Catan. It's pretty fun. It was the first board game I bought for her that wasn't the standard kid game. Going from Catan: Junior to settlers later on should be an easy transition too :)

Quoting KLove_Mom:

Thanks... we have been looking for bigger kid strategy games now that our twins are turning 5. We love to play Settlers of Catan ourselves, so I think we'll be getting the Jr version too.

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM
We own munchkin booty but have only have played it at game night. We like it though. I probably will never play magick because my husband is very against it lol. He doesn't like anything fantasy themed. Although I have been able to get him to play (and enjoy)"Lords of Waterdeep" (one of my favorites), and "Dungeon!".

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

You should look into Talisman. My Annie began playing it with us when she was 6 and loves it. We are also big into games including Catan, Munchkin, Dungeon, Magick, and many role playing games.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:16 PM
That really limits you. I would lose most of my game room.

Quoting armygirl16:

We own munchkin booty but have only have played it at game night. We like it though. I probably will never play magick because my husband is very against it lol. He doesn't like anything fantasy themed. Although I have been able to get him to play (and enjoy)"Lords of Waterdeep" (one of my favorites), and "Dungeon!".

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

armygirl16
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I have been getting him to play games that he never thought he would play.  We have 34 games right now (we just bought Mice and Mystics, Elder Sign and Love Letter last night).  I'm also buying Netrunner tomorrow +1 expansion (I'm super excited lol).  We both love Seasons and he will do a little fantasy theme but I have to really get him to try ones that have that theme.  Otherwise he probably wouldn't look twice at them lol.  He like zombie games his favorite game is Quarriors.  We just comprimise.  We take turns choosing what game we want to play that day.  

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

That really limits you. I would lose most of my game room.

Quoting armygirl16:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
lucsch
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I think any boardgames are useful for learning something, even if just social skills. LOL I tend to like traditional boardgames myself--and card games. It is amazing what you can do with a deck of cards. For young kids, just keeping track of all of the different rules and applying them, plus learning to think ahead and planning strategies for winning is enough of a educational challenge.

My favorite game is Phase 10...just because I think it is fun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN