Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Writing >:O

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM
  • 24 Replies

My son is 6 and we started school last Monday.  I've been struggling with getting him to write.  He hates it.  What do you do to help make writing a better experience for your child?  

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmath
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:00 PM

I have the same problem with my son.  He despises writing.  He will jump on doing Math problems or reading a book, but ask him to write one sentence and you would think I had asked him to roast puppy dog tails or something.  Being able to write what he wants and not just copy sentences helps some.  Hopefully some others will have good advice. 

Mandallyn
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My son is the same way. Math is a breeze.
Quoting kmath:

I have the same problem with my son.  He despises writing.  He will jump on doing Math problems or reading a book, but ask him to write one sentence and you would think I had asked him to roast puppy dog tails or something.  Being able to write what he wants and not just copy sentences helps some.  Hopefully some others will have good advice. 

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM

I do writing prompts daily, but ones that apply to what we're doing or currently reading.  It's less like pulling teeth and more like filling a cavity.  :)

oredeb
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:36 PM
1 mom liked this

keep it short for a while, is what i do, but we do a sentence every day , we also use sticks and write in the dirt, air writing, hammer and nails,

i started out with 1 word and added more each day, also gave prizes, they seemed to really like writing there dad and moms name and brother and sisters names, thats how i started when they were younger

marrionsmommy
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this
We do draw write now, I let him write the names of his favorite super heroes, I have him write withspecial pencils. We do cursive now he likes that way better. Also make sure he is using a correct pencil grip, my son hated writing and drawing and it was because of a fisted pencil grip that caused him pain when he would grip the pencil. We switched grips and now he loves to draw. I also got him into making his own comics, so he draws the characters and writes their dialogue.
celticdragon77
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:07 AM

Is it the physical activity of writing or the creative process that he hates? 

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:12 AM

I don't know what draw write now is, but it sounds like something that my kids do. I have my kids use computer programs for most of their "writing" - since I deem that this will be a more important skill in their futures than handwriting. Also, their hands get tired of hand writing everything. However, they do notebooking for most subjects - in that they often will draw a picture and write something somewhere on it. (Though sometimes they print out stuff to put in the journals as well). 

Quoting marrionsmommy:

We do draw write now, I let him write the names of his favorite super heroes, I have him write withspecial pencils. We do cursive now he likes that way better. Also make sure he is using a correct pencil grip, my son hated writing and drawing and it was because of a fisted pencil grip that caused him pain when he would grip the pencil. We switched grips and now he loves to draw. I also got him into making his own comics, so he draws the characters and writes their dialogue.

"Wouldnt it be nice if we lived in a world where Zimmerman offered Trayvon a ride home to get him out of the rain that night." 

Mandallyn
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:25 AM
I think he finds it tedious. He also has adhd and will fidget rather than writing. He loves coming up with stories, but writing it even if he's just copying is a daily struggle.

Quoting celticdragon77:

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Then screw it, he doesn't need to do it right now. Give him a computer and let him have fun with typing and learning some programs. Do you have M.S. Office at all? If not there are popular free writing programs online that are very similar. Teach him how to use it (youtube videos are fabulous for this - if it is new to you as well). Once that is figured out, he can type, add in pictures, and other neat little tricks. 

I DO suggest that he do more than JUST creative writing. 

Give him a thesauraus to keep handy at the computer - or use an online one. 

But he is 6yrs old right now, so take it easy, which I know you will =)

Quoting Mandallyn:

I think he finds it tedious. He also has adhd and will fidget rather than writing. He loves coming up with stories, but writing it even if he's just copying is a daily struggle.

Quoting celticdragon77:

"Wouldnt it be nice if we lived in a world where Zimmerman offered Trayvon a ride home to get him out of the rain that night." 

marrionsmommy
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Mandallyn:

Draw write now is an art based, writing program. Lets say the kids learn to draw a cow. Then they will copy down 2 or 3 sentences about a farm or a fun fact about a cow. My son thinks its fun to draw and the lesson just kinda sneaks in there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)