Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

My son is 6 and we started school last Monday.  I've been struggling with getting him to write.  He hates it.  What do you do to help make writing a better experience for your child?  

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:44 PM
Replies (11-20):
lucsch
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Just use a short handwriting program with that age. He doesn't need to do a lot of writing, including lots of workbooks. Teach him to read, read to him, talk about everything, work on math. 

You may find he can practice handwriting more easily on a dry-erase board. You can buy them with primary lines on them. Use a low-odor marker so that it glides easily.

marrionsmommy
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:51 AM
Quoting celticdragon77:

I have my son do typing as well but we use it primarily for vocabulary. So that he doesnt also have to write this out on top of his handwriting work. I refuse to have it replace handwriting though, I think they need to get a strong grasp of letter forming concepts and decnt handwriting before typing. I cannot stand these kids these days that cannot write a sentence that isnt in text speak. My son does handwriting everyday (whether it be to write the ninja turtles full names out is irrelevant)

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:59 AM

I was under the impression that she meant writing in English class. "Handwriting" as in "handwriting without tears" - should be done. Just suck it up and do it - because it won't be the first or last thing you dread doing in life. Also, hand written work is not altogether avoidable. There is math, worksheets, and other subjects of work. However, if she means just writing - as in a part of English class... then it can be done on a computer if he dreads doing it by hand. He is only 6yrs old and his tiny hands can only endure so much. Why ruin the creative and mechanics of writing over the misery of hand writing the material?! I also not at all meant that he should use "text speech" just because he uses a computer. 

But hey, to each their own. This is just my two cents. Which isn't worth a damn online. =)

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Quoting celticdragon77:

I have my son do typing as well but we use it primarily for vocabulary. So that he doesnt also have to write this out on top of his handwriting work. I refuse to have it replace handwriting though, I think they need to get a strong grasp of letter forming concepts and decnt handwriting before typing. I cannot stand these kids these days that cannot write a sentence that isnt in text speak. My son does handwriting everyday (whether it be to write the ninja turtles full names out is irrelevant)

"Wouldnt it be nice if we lived in a world where Zimmerman offered Trayvon a ride home to get him out of the rain that night." 

marrionsmommy
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 3:22 AM
Quoting celticdragon77:

I totally agree that he is too young to do a full out language arts curriculum and if that is the case she could just cut the amount required on her own. One curriculum I tried with my son required 4 writing prompts and a ton of copy work, that just made him miserable. I used my own discretion and only required him to complete 1 prompt and one copy work a day.

As for the text speech comment, I know you didnt mean for him to write in that form ;). I just cant stand teenagers these days who cant write and only type/text, so much so that when they do write they revert to text speech.

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 3:27 AM

No I didn't mean that he was too young for a full LA curriculum. I just meant he was too young to do much writing - using his hand to write. I have no opinion about the use of a complete LA program at that age. I suppose it just depends on the child and parent. 

Yeah, I also am not a fan of the text slang - outside of actual texting. 

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Quoting celticdragon77:

I totally agree that he is too young to do a full out language arts curriculum and if that is the case she could just cut the amount required on her own. One curriculum I tried with my son required 4 writing prompts and a ton of copy work, that just made him miserable. I used my own discretion and only required him to complete 1 prompt and one copy work a day.

As for the text speech comment, I know you didnt mean for him to write in that form ;). I just cant stand teenagers these days who cant write and only type/text, so much so that when they do write they revert to text speech.

tattooEdgy Homeschool Moms

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 5:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I struggled with that, and I found Write Shop. They have a primary level, Jr, and regular level. It is set up where the parents are helping every step of the way with the younger levels, including actually writing everything if need be (like for Kinders). It has games throughout the writing process. We're doing the Jr level this year (our first year) and I was paging through it last night. I think it's going to help my struggling and reluctant writer tons. It gives ideas on how to make the assignment more challenging or easier if need be too.

PurpleCupcake
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

What does he like..

My son's loves to write comic books about super heros and transformers.

Let him write what he wants to write about.

Mandallyn
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 3:53 PM
I was thinking it was just his handwriting. But as I think about it more I can see it's a little of both. Learning to write using the computer will help to ease a lot of our conflicts. In fact, I think he would actually enjoy learning to use the keyboard. And that would give me the chance to make handwriting about handwriting, and hopefully less of a struggle, instead of using multiple subjects and worksheets to help his handwriting.
Quoting celticdragon77:

I was under the impression that she meant writing in English class. "Handwriting" as in "handwriting without tears" - should be done. Just suck it up and do it - because it won't be the first or last thing you dread doing in life. Also, hand written work is not altogether avoidable. There is math, worksheets, and other subjects of work. However, if she means just writing - as in a part of English class... then it can be done on a computer if he dreads doing it by hand. He is only 6yrs old and his tiny hands can only endure so much. Why ruin the creative and mechanics of writing over the misery of hand writing the material?! I also not at all meant that he should use "text speech" just because he uses a computer. 

But hey, to each their own. This is just my two cents. Which isn't worth a damn online. =)

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Quoting celticdragon77:

Mandallyn
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM

That sounds interesting, I'm going to look into that.  Thank you!

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Quoting Mandallyn:

Draw write now is an art based, writing program. Lets say the kids learn to draw a cow. Then they will copy down 2 or 3 sentences about a farm or a fun fact about a cow. My son thinks its fun to draw and the lesson just kinda sneaks in there.

Mandallyn
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 3:54 PM

I'll look into it.  Thanks!

Quoting No_Difference:

I struggled with that, and I found Write Shop. They have a primary level, Jr, and regular level. It is set up where the parents are helping every step of the way with the younger levels, including actually writing everything if need be (like for Kinders). It has games throughout the writing process. We're doing the Jr level this year (our first year) and I was paging through it last night. I think it's going to help my struggling and reluctant writer tons. It gives ideas on how to make the assignment more challenging or easier if need be too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)