Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HELP!!! Need Free Curriculum Plan till I can Order the one I want!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi All,

OK, I was all decided on Moving Beyond the Page for my 6 year old going into 1st grade daughter, but this summer has been bad for us financially (MAJOR car repairs, hospital visits, etc.) and now I can't afford it. Also, someone recently posted that it is VERY writing heavy, and my daughter had a speech delay and is not reading yet - writing is also a painstakingly hard process! (she may be dyslexic, but no diagnosis yet)

SO.....Now I need things I can do with her, and SOME kind of lesson plan/curriculum to follow to start us out. We follow the local school district as close as we can for start dates, holidays, days off, etc. and we follow the part of the district that is year round, so we start next Monday - July 29th!!!!

We have memberships to - Reading Eggs, Math Seeds, Ooka Island, ABC Mouse (for another month), Brain Pop Jr, and Time4Learning. She likes all of them but ABC Mouse really - so I will renew those as we need to. I also got a free membership to Grammaropolis (lifetime) which we might start using this year.

I also ordered her the Magic Schoolbus Science kits last year but never used them, so Science is covered.

I had been planning on adding Explode the Code online (to help her with reading), and trying to decide between Math U See or Math Mammoth for Math.

For Teacher Resources I have memberships (ending mostly in October) from last year at:

ABC Teach 
Enchanted Homeschool Mom 
LessonPix 
Enchanted Learning 

and use Teachers Pay Teachers, & Teachers Notebook for pay as I go. 

Okay - so to make it a LONGER, more rambling post - 

Reading/Language Arts - ?

Math - Math U See or Math Mammoth, or something better? (she is definitely hands on!, non worksheet focused)

Science - Magic Schoolbus Kits

Social Studies - ?

History - Planning on Ancient History, but no ideas there yet

PE - park days, playdates, etc.

Art/Music - nothing specific - just general seasonal stuff and fun 

We are definitely secular, and I don't want to try to "pick" around religious content. 

Oh, and I purchased the book - Things Your 1st Grader Should Know, but haven't cracked it yet!

I have LOTS of things downloaded, but am feeling VERY overwhelmed with the idea of having to plan it all out!

Sorry to be so long-winded, and thanks for any help!

Chandra

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Replies (11-15):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

This is good stuff. We love Reading Eggs - but it's not our main phonics program.

I will say that I don't think MCT would be appropriate for the OP - she has a non reading 6 year old; I believe the program is recommnded for gifted children in grades 3+?

Quoting celticdragon77:

Here goes my long ramble of know it all advice that isn't worth a damn...

How much are you paying for online educational sites?! Nevermind. Just forgo those and spend the money on actual decent affordable curriculum materials. I could go into a long spew about what passive learning does to the brain, but I will skip ahead. 

Use the library, find a used homeschool store (or websites that sell used homeschool materials), use FREE internet resources... and you should be good to go. 

Go with Math Mammoth!!! Add in an interactive math journal (find free resources), some living math books (check the library or used resources - there is a website called living math that will be useful), manipulatives - you can make most of these - or find them cheap, khan.com, youtube, games, hands on activities and projects related to math, critical thinking challenges...  

Start with the Ancient History! Buy a decent encyclopedia for spine and timeline to work off of. Use the public library to fill in. History pockets on evan moor are cheap - as are ancient history coloring books from dover publishing - check out amazon or rainbow resources to find these at affordable prices. Look up "notebooking" - it is excellent for every subject. Tie in art and music into history. Give writing assignments based on age of child. You can get creative and make your own projects, worksheets, etc. You can google for this stuff - just google the topic presently being explored. Pinterest is always a handy site - but many people now charge for their tid bits put up on there. I don't bother with that. There is too much free stuff to allow myself to be nickeled and dimed like that. 

Science - Again, much of the history stuff applies here. Nature walks, local field guides, a nature journal, a experiments data notebook, and more... 

English... ehh... who knows, we LOVE MCT and would not go without it. 

Phonics - depends on how much you need. I am using LOE - It is good in my opinion. I don't think we needed all of this tho - and it costs a freaking fortune. My son HATES it!!! My daughter likes it. Explode The Code didn't work for us - but it works for many and is cheap. I think books like "the ordinary parents guide to reading" or "100 easy lessons..." are decent affordable options!! IF they teach the rules!!! I am a strickler about this! That All About Spelling would be good, I believe as well. I think the All About Reading is likely a scam to get more money out of parents, because the AAS should be enough. 

There are some books called "....Book Of Lists" and "The Complete Book Of..." - there is a series of both - and they are quite excellent. A search on Amazon should find it. I am too lazy to go find the post where I JUST posted the links to these items up at. It was somewhere here in this group and the person was talking about free websites for homeschooling... something similar to your post. 

Anyways, this all of the junk emptyied from one womans brain... Hopefully something of worth can be dug out of it all. 

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:47 AM

You are probably correct. I just listed things based on my experience and English was one that I was at a loss for recommending other than what we currently use. 

Quoting AutymsMommy:

This is good stuff. We love Reading Eggs - but it's not our main phonics program.

I will say that I don't think MCT would be appropriate for the OP - she has a non reading 6 year old; I believe the program is recommnded for gifted children in grades 3+?

Quoting celticdragon77:

How much are you paying for online educational sites?! Nevermind. Just forgo those and spend the money on actual decent affordable curriculum materials. I could go into a long spew about what passive learning does to the brain, but I will skip ahead. 

Use the library, find a used homeschool store (or websites that sell used homeschool materials), use FREE internet resources... and you should be good to go. 

Go with Math Mammoth!!! Add in an interactive math journal (find free resources), some living math books (check the library or used resources - there is a website called living math that will be useful), manipulatives - you can make most of these - or find them cheap, khan.com, youtube, games, hands on activities and projects related to math, critical thinking challenges...  

Start with the Ancient History! Buy a decent encyclopedia for spine and timeline to work off of. Use the public library to fill in. History pockets on evan moor are cheap - as are ancient history coloring books from dover publishing - check out amazon or rainbow resources to find these at affordable prices. Look up "notebooking" - it is excellent for every subject. Tie in art and music into history. Give writing assignments based on age of child. You can get creative and make your own projects, worksheets, etc. You can google for this stuff - just google the topic presently being explored. Pinterest is always a handy site - but many people now charge for their tid bits put up on there. I don't bother with that. There is too much free stuff to allow myself to be nickeled and dimed like that. 

Science - Again, much of the history stuff applies here. Nature walks, local field guides, a nature journal, a experiments data notebook, and more... 

Phonics - depends on how much you need. I am using LOE - It is good in my opinion. I don't think we needed all of this tho - and it costs a freaking fortune. My son HATES it!!! My daughter likes it. Explode The Code didn't work for us - but it works for many and is cheap. I think books like "the ordinary parents guide to reading" or "100 easy lessons..." are decent affordable options!! IF they teach the rules!!! I am a strickler about this! That All About Spelling would be good, I believe as well. I think the All About Reading is likely a scam to get more money out of parents, because the AAS should be enough. 

There are some books called "....Book Of Lists" and "The Complete Book Of..." - there is a series of both - and they are quite excellent. A search on Amazon should find it. I am too lazy to go find the post where I JUST posted the links to these items up at. It was somewhere here in this group and the person was talking about free websites for homeschooling... something similar to your post. 

Anyways, this all of the junk emptyied from one womans brain... Hopefully something of worth can be dug out of it all. 

tattooEdgy Homeschool Moms

mommy4lyf
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:34 AM

My son is also delayed in language but made a lot of progress in reading using Hooked on Phonics and ClicknRead/Spelling http://www.clicknkids.com/Public/MemberLogin.php

Just follow the sequence because it's good for a whole year.

And also, if you don't have the leapfrog tag, try it. You can use it anywhere you go. Outside the house or park. This is the only leapfrog product now, that really works for us.

I also found this free site where you can print out and make a booklet for free!!!! http://progressivephonics.com/

For Math, if she doesn't like workbooks, I would highly suggest the www.ixl.com we will be using this for years to come. You can print out the topics by grade level. If she becomes interested in workbook, I will suggest Math Made Easy Workbook, you can get it from Amazon.

I also downloaded a lot of things but I narrowed it down to what works for my son. I make my own lesson plan the practical way =)

I print out the topics from ixl.com for example and I divide all lessons by 36 weeks. This is not fix because some topic are easy for him so we move to the next topic.

And if you have those resources, pick one from each subject for example Math - MathUsee, Reading - Explode the Code and etc....and use the rest as a supplement.

"If the child cannot learn in the way we teach...we must teach in the way the child can learn."reading

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I would have wrote something very similar to this, and also was completely overwhelmed by all the computer subscriptions. At first grade, the child needs more hands on and play than screen time.

Quoting celticdragon77:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
debramommyof4
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Try lesson pathways.com
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)