Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

Homebody or social butterfly?

Posted by   + Show Post
Do you prefer to be home, or out and about?
Are your kids the same way?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Replies (21-30):
MacMamaof5
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM

I love a good balance.  Can't stay in too long, but if I do go out, need it to be quality and not quantity.  Kids are the exact same way. They do have a preference to stay home, so I do need to get the clubhouse built and get some more great outside toys and activities going....bikes fixed, pool set up, etc.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 7:50 AM

It's funny, my oldest son has sensory issues, but I'm realizing more and more that I do, too.  I like my quiet (why I had 5 kids is beyond me....), I like knowing what's going on, I don't enjoy crowds....  Germs don't bother me, though.  Boogers on my wall bother me, though....

Quoting Boobah:

Same here. I try to get out more but I don't enjoy crowds, loud noises, germs (lol). We tend to do most activities, if any, during summer and fall.

Quoting hwblyf:

Homebodies.  I think we should probably try to get out there more, it's something I'm working on.  But we can really only tolerate but so much outside activity.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Exactly! That is what I try to explain to my husband!! 2 hours of fun always ends up in a virus going through several, if not all 5 of us. Just.not.worth.it. What stinks is that they are family functions I can't get away from, and it is his family that always comes with a horrible cough, snot running down their face, or a stomach virus. They try to cover the symptoms so you can't tell, but I can always see it in their sad little sick eyes. The moms don't want them to "miss out on the fun". How selfish is that?

Quoting Bluecalm:

I've learned to avoid large kiddie activities because of all the germs because my boys get really sick easily . We are homebodies by necessity especially around holidays. There are always a few sick kids at the functions and they seem to always have to be coughing right by us. Then my kiddos end up with a respiratory infection they can't shake which turns into an asthma flare.Two hours of fun turns into ten days of sickness. :(

Quoting Boobah:

Same here. I try to get out more but I don't enjoy crowds, loud noises, germs (lol). We tend to do most activities, if any, during summer and fall.

Quoting hwblyf:

Homebodies.  I think we should probably try to get out there more, it's something I'm working on.  But we can really only tolerate but so much outside activity.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:21 AM
Hahahahaha! So far, no boogers on my walls. Oldest dd is very good about tissues, and I think my middle eats them...

Quoting hwblyf:

It's funny, my oldest son has sensory issues, but I'm realizing more and more that I do, too.  I like my quiet (why I had 5 kids is beyond me....), I like knowing what's going on, I don't enjoy crowds....  Germs don't bother me, though.  Boogers on my wall bother me, though....

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting hwblyf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:26 AM
That is what I am trying to work on. Making our yard more enjoyable. It's hard because we want to move, so don't want to put up a nice swing set and such, but I also want them to enjoy it out there.

Quoting MacMamaof5:

I love a good balance.  Can't stay in too long, but if I do go out, need it to be quality and not quantity.  Kids are the exact same way. They do have a preference to stay home, so I do need to get the clubhouse built and get some more great outside toys and activities going....bikes fixed, pool set up, etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamamedic69
by Deanna on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Homebody. My dd is the same way. Going out has to be short. My dd is very shy and always wants to go home.
Bluecalm
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 8:41 AM
Fortunately my dh gets it. One of his relatives called to come visit and mentioned that her kids were "just getting over" being sick. He told her he was sorry, but he couldn't risk our boys getting sick and they couldn't come.

We feel so guilty if we take the boys out and they come down with something that night. I can't understand knowing your kids are sick and going. One of my co-worker's dd was in my son's K class. At Christmas time she brought her girls to the Santa breakfast coughing up their lungs. My boys got it and my 6 year old missed all the fun activities at school like singing carols at a nursing home and Polar Express Day complete with a train. My LO ended up in the ER. Her dd never missed a day of school because her mother didn't want her to miss the fun. Yikes.

Quoting Boobah:

Exactly! That is what I try to explain to my husband!! 2 hours of fun always ends up in a virus going through several, if not all 5 of us. Just.not.worth.it. What stinks is that they are family functions I can't get away from, and it is his family that always comes with a horrible cough, snot running down their face, or a stomach virus. They try to cover the symptoms so you can't tell, but I can always see it in their sad little sick eyes. The moms don't want them to "miss out on the fun". How selfish is that?

Quoting Bluecalm:

I've learned to avoid large kiddie activities because of all the germs because my boys get really sick easily . We are homebodies by necessity especially around holidays. There are always a few sick kids at the functions and they seem to always have to be coughing right by us. Then my kiddos end up with a respiratory infection they can't shake which turns into an asthma flare.Two hours of fun turns into ten days of sickness. :(

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting hwblyf:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM

If you get enough on your walls, you'll have to sand the wall before painting.  :(  Personally, I'm waiting for the booger storm to be over before I paint.  Looking up and finding ??? on the ceiling is interesting, too.  Good thing I'm not afraid of germs!

Quoting Boobah:

Hahahahaha! So far, no boogers on my walls. Oldest dd is very good about tissues, and I think my middle eats them...

Quoting hwblyf:

Quoting Boobah:

Quoting hwblyf:

No_Difference
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Hmm.... I like to be out and about to an extent. During winter months we tend to be homebodies, but we all get cabin fever very very quickly, so when summer comes around we're constantly out and about and then burn out really fast. I think we need to find that balance yet, although this year, I've planned out a rather busy winter already if all goes according to plans...
I use to only want to be a homebody and not meet anyone because as soon as we made friends, we'd move. This year though, I met so many people, made tons of friends, and refuse to move so I want to get out and do more now than ever lol.
I would have to say the kids are social butterflies all the way. The can be all, "I don't want to go out and play. I'm tired." and then the door bell rings and they're racing to get outside lol

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Dawn07
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 10:00 AM
I am a homebody, although on occasion I feel like getting out. Dd loves to run the roads.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN