Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

5th grade English

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM
  • 8 Replies
What does everyone use for English/grammar/literature
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 3:40 PM

7th grade daughter:

For grammar and literary analysis we are using BraveWriter's "The Arrow" and "Boomerang" selections.

For writing we are using IEW (Institute for Excellence in Writing) SWI-B (Student Writing Intensive course B).

For literature we'll read the books assigned for her BraveWriter work, minus the Harry Potter guide, because she's already read that, but I thought it would be a fun way to kick off the school year, so we'll only read the portions required.

For spelling we're using Apples and Pears (for dyslexics).

4 year old son:

Phonics: Phonics Pathways and Little Stories for Little Folks (supplementing with Reading Eggs)

Handwriting: Seton's Handwriting for Young Catholics K

Literature: Picture Book Activities (it's like Five in a Row, but with less crafts, more outside-the-box ideas, and games to accompany classic children's literature).

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 3:43 PM

I have Basher's Punctuation and want to get their Creative Writing, I also have The Writer's Notebook by Ralph Fletcher, I've got Kelley Wingate Publications Grades 5-6 Grammar, and my mom picked us up a sentence diagramming workbook (I can't put my fingers on it right now).  I'm being way more laid back than it sounds, though, because we're not in those books a lot.  My son reads EVERYTHING over and over again.  And then he knows it.  So we focus more on his daily writing prompts to work on applying what he's read, and we'll pick a genre to study and he'll write one of those stories.  My son is a constant reader, so we're always on the lookout for new series/new books.  I'm looking into getting a subscription to Audible, which is digital audio books.  My big focus with my son is to talk with him and get him thinking about the stories more.  He hates to write things down, but like I said, I decided my focus was getting him to think more deeply about these things, so we work on discussing it in depth.  One day I'm going to have him put together a list online of books he's reading/read and what he thinks about them.  He'll read things he doesn't enjoy, too, just to be reading.

Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:38 PM
I did use English for the thoughtful child, now we changed methods and it is included in my curric.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucsch
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:01 PM

We will be using Rod & Staff English 4 this year for grammar (includes lots of diagramming, some writing, dictionary skills).

We will use a combination of written narrations, notebooking assignments, IEW's All Things Fun & Fascinating, Four Square Writing, and a Scholastic Writing Paragraphs ebook for writing instruction.

oredeb
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this

i use rod and staff english/grammar, for all the grades

for literature i asign some books other the kids choose

bether89
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM

I have a 5th grader.  We are using BJU English 5 and Reading 5.   

jen2150
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Abeka, Write shop for creative writing and hands on grammar, and the library.  

celticdragon77
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 6:23 PM

MCT (we LOVE it!!!)

misc $3-$5 scholastic and evan moor workbooks on specific writing topics. 

and some other misc resources that I had on writing

IEW ancient history (pairing it with Ancient history class - but ties in of course with English). 

a lot of books to read - awesome reward if goal is met

Writing journal - they use MS Office, write (can add in images or etc), print, and put in journals (binder).

(a 4th and 5th grader here)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)