Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

"I'm not sure about that homeschooling..." (a kind of vent, excuse me)

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:00 PM
  • 7 Replies
1 mom liked this

My mom, who is NOT on facebook or even on the internet at all (she's as old school as you can get :) ) ran into my cousin the other day, who told her how I'm "always" on Facebook, and she doesn't "know how she has time to be on there so much," and to top it all off, "And I'm not sure about that homeschooling thing either."

Ugh. My cousin has kind of a big mouth, which often contains her foot, so I can't get too upset, but still it does bug me. For one, my cousin NEVER comments or posts - so I forget she's even ON Facebook (she's a voyeur!). So I've set my default to be shared with friends EXCEPT her. So she won't be bothered by it. The other thing is, I'm not even on there that much. I will post a pic of something we did or a status update maybe 4-5 times a week. I do check it every day, but I don't post that often. She just has very few FB friends so I guess my posts seem more numerous to her because they aren't being diluted by hundreds of other people's.

The "I'm not sure about that homeschooling" does bug me though. I don't get a lot of criticism about it so maybe my skin is not as tough as it should be. There are so many critiques I could make of HER parenting choices. . . I was so tempted to say, "You know, I'm not sure about those stupid sweater vests you make your son wear..." or, "I'm not sure about how your husband is super old," or even, "I'm not sure about what you feed your child because he's a bit tubby."

I mean - how is any of that MY business?! 

Sheesh. I do a good job. I work with my children. I just don't post a picture or explanation of every thing we do, every day. 

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this
This made me chuckle. :) I get it, just let it roll off of you. People don't like what they don't understand, and maybe, just maybe, she is envious. I love staying home with my kids, being their teacher, their mentor, etc (well you know, 90% of the time).
Sweater vests. Hahahahaha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mem82
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:04 PM
3 moms liked this
Ugh, throwing rocks in her glass house, is she? Remember that negative brings negative so try to let it go. Me, I would sit my happy butt down on fb and rain down the homeschooling memes for a night or two. Lol
lucsch
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 10:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, my cousin said about my choice in a groom for my wedding, "I don't know what she sees in him." Thirty years later, we are still together, have four kids, while she had one child out of wedlock (back when it was still taboo), and two failed marriages. 

My guess is your cousin is immature and doesn't know what is important in life. I wouldn't give her thoughts about your life a moment's reflection!

usmom3
by BJ on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I think you did the right thing to fix it where your stuff no longer pops up on here news feed.
oredeb
by on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM

awwwwwwwww

kirbymom
by Sonja on Jul. 28, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Don't you just love when family goes a pokin' into your business without so much as a "by your leave" thought?
I think you did the right thing stopping her from seeing your posts. Even if it is just a small amount if posts. Just try and ignore the intrusion and hopefully she will get bored soon enough and move on to another project.
Sweater vests? lol :)
hipmomto3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Oh man the sweater vests are INSANE. She and her husband and son are all totally into holiday themed sweaters, and at Christmas, it's quite a spectacle. She's considerably older than me - could almost be my mother - but has a son just a year older than my oldest, because it took a long time for them to conceive (and, old husband didn't help I'm sure). 

LOL @ the homeschooling memes :) I really try to never be political or offensive to those who have different choices than I do, yk? Maybe I offend left and right and am unaware of it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)