Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Homeschooling Moms Homeschooling Moms

When does your school year officially start?

Posted by   + Show Post
When does your school year start officially? DD starts kindergarten this year and I'm ordering her curriculum (Memoria Press) next week. The only problem is we are moving from Oregon to Texas on August 31st. Well that's when we start driving. It would be a few days before getting to Texas. Then comes unpacking and whatnot. I'm trying to figure out if I should start before we move or after?
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Replies (11-20):
jenelle_trader
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 7:59 PM

We're starting Sept 3rd.  Kailynn's birthday is the 2nd.  PS starts Aug 26th this year, which dd missed the cutoff for.  I don't know if I'm going to continue hs next year, so I'm going to try to follow their schedule as close as possible just in case.

armygirl16
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:01 PM

That is a good idea.  We had been working on map skills.  I found as many worksheets as I could to teach her how to read a compass and find points on a map by the compass.  I could get her a road map and draw a line of where we are driving through and I could figure out some things to do from there.  

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Oh, add in the states you will be driving through and work on geography and map skills.

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Jinx-Troublex3
by Jinx on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:03 PM
Are you rushing through? Or will you have time to maybe let her help choose a couple stops along the way?

Quoting armygirl16:

That is a good idea.  We had been working on map skills.  I found as many worksheets as I could to teach her how to read a compass and find points on a map by the compass.  I could get her a road map and draw a line of where we are driving through and I could figure out some things to do from there.  

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Oh, add in the states you will be driving through and work on geography and map skills.

armygirl16
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM

We are kind of rushing through.  We will be stopping in Sacramento to have dinner with family and friends on our first night though.  I told my husband though I do not want to be driving 14+ hours a day like we did last year when we moved from Michigan to Oregon.  So we will drive a max of 10 (of driving time, stop are not included in this time but will be taken)

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Are you rushing through? Or will you have time to maybe let her help choose a couple stops along the way?

Quoting armygirl16:

Quoting Jinx-Troublex3:

Certified Child Passenger Safety Technician (car seat tech) Ask me a question!

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
tiredmomfor2
by **Lyndsay** on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:09 PM
My kids have already sort of started. We have just slowly started adding things in. I don't have an official start date set yet.
lucsch
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:20 PM

8/19

Koltie6
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 8:28 PM
The great thing about homeschooling is you can start whenever you want. It's important to get settled in your new home. Everyday is a learning experience. Relax and get started when you can. Good luck and welcome to Texas.
Boobah
by Nikki :) on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:32 PM
I'm thinking the first Monday in September, but I may change it up depending on if we vacation in September.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MacMamaof5
by Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 1:50 AM

We will start right on the first of August.  I say start BEFORE your trip and like suggested use it to educate the kids on the states you pass and other facts.  PLay tapes or CD's of stories on your way, classical music, or other music depending on the age of your children.

hwblyf
by Silver Member on Jul. 28, 2013 at 7:48 AM

We started 7/11.  I was just going to do a practice week with my kids because my middle 3 started asking to homeschool since we were going to hs our oldest and the youngest is still in pre-k.  After the week of practice to see if it was doable and the kids still wanted to do it, we kept going because I felt that stopping only to start back up and have to go through the initial pains of organization and expectations and such would be no fun.  I would wait until after the move, but if you do start before the move, make sure there's plenty on hand for her to do independently and such.  My daughter is not one to give me a break, and she'll hound me for her work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)